Chapter 15

Raven was walking down the hallway from the kitchen to her room when she spied Uncle Iroh and a strange man enter Zuko's room. She didn't like the looks of the stranger so when they entered the room, she quickly tiptoed over and pressed her back to the wall, close to the open door so she could hear.

"You can't do this," Zuko snapped.

"Actually, it's an order from Fire Lord Ozai. He feels that your efforts in finding the Avatar are wasted."
the stranger remarked.

Raven frowned, what was going on? Peering around the corner, she found that the man was standing across the room, staring up at Zuko's dual swords which hung from the wall. She could see the tension radiating off of Zuko and she knew he was nervous. Uncle Iroh sensed the girl's presence and turned around to see her standing in the doorway. He placed a finger to her lips to quiet her and she nodded, slipping silently into the room to hide in the shadows.

"I did not know you were skilled in dual swords Prince Zuko," the man remarked, taking one of the swords from the wall and testing it out.

"I'm not," Zuko lied. "They're antiques. For decoration."
Raven smiled to herself. Good escape.

Soon, the stranger placed the sword back on the wall and walked toward the door, leaving without even a goodbye.

"My offer to join my crew still stands General Iroh. Should you change your mind."

The moment the door closed, Zuko let out a sigh.

"He offered to let you join his crew?" Zuko asked his uncle.

Iroh nodded, "He wants to use my knowledge of the other kingdoms to reach his goals."
"What he is trying to say," Raven remarked, stepping out of the shadows, "is that he's not going to abandon you."
Zuko jumped slightly at Raven's appearance, having not known of her presence.

"How long have you been there?" he asked.

Raven smiled, "Long enough. You should really work on your observation skills Prince Zuko."
Iroh chuckled but Zuko just rolled his eyes. His uncle patted him on the shoulder. "I'm going for a stroll. You are welcome to join me....or you can sit here in a dark room alone. Whatever makes you happy." With that, the old man left the room, deciding that he had better leave Zuko's bad mood to Raven.

Zuko groaned and walked over to his bed, sitting down and turning so his back was to Raven. The girl considered sitting next to him but decided to give him a little space. She took up the seat across the room, lazily making snowflakes in her palm.

"He's the one you rescued the Avatar from, isn't he?" she asked after a long silence.

Zuko didn't move but if Raven had a good view of his face, she would have seen his eyes snap open in surprise.

"Yes." He replied simply.

Raven hummed, "It's a miracle he hasn't blown himself up."

"You don't know anything about him," Zuko replied in a glum voice.

"I don't have to. I might not be a fortune teller but even an idiot can see it written on his face. He's impulsive, proud, vulgar and power hungry. If I had to guess further... all his efforts to capture the Avatar have failed miserably."
There was a long pause before Zuko spoke again, "Mostly."
Raven smiled, folding her hands behind her head and leaning back against the wall, "And you know why?"

"Because he is impulsive, proud, vulgar and power hungry?" Zuko asked, not really interested in the conversation.

Raven shook her head even though she knew he couldn't see it, "Because his goals are wrong. He is hunting something down that has more friends than enemies. In this world, nine out of ten people want to help protect the Avatar because they know he is the last hope in defeating the Fire Lord."
"So are you saying I'm the same?" Zuko growled.