Chapter 2

Zuko peered around the corner. Good, no sign of any guards. Azula had gone out to play with Mei and Ty-lee. She wouldn't be back for a while and she was always loud when coming into her room so Zuko would know when to scram. Carefully he approached his sister's room and pushed the door open. He closed it behind him and locked it. He knew there was a key to open it from the outside, but it was in their mother's room. So, if Azula returned and found it locked, she would have to go get the key.

Zuko scanned the room and almost let out a gasp when he saw what was tied to the girl's bed. Around one of the large bed posts of Azula's bed was a long black rope.... Tied securely, it was about three feet long before it tied around the wrists of the young girl! The girl was on her knees, her arms tied behind her. From the look of it, she was asleep for she was leaning forward, but it looked so uncomfortable and painful that Zuko bit his lip.

Crossing the room in three strides, the boy grabbed the knot around the girl's wrists and untied them. The girl slowly lifted her blue eyes to look at Zuko before they grew wide in shock.

Zuko smiled at her before crouching in front of her, "I'm not going to hurt you."
The girl seemed to relax slightly at his words, but he could tell she was still on the alert. Reaching forward, he gently pushed her long golden hair out of her eyes and behind her ears. Then reaching down, he clasped her hands and lifted her to her feet. The girl's knees buckled and Zuko wrapped his arms around her waist to keep her steady. The girl's eyes fluttered as nausea overtook her. Without thinking, the prince reached down and scooped the girl up into his arms. Carefully he placed her down on the end of Azula's bed, so she was laying down. The girl rolled onto her side and her eyes fluttered closed.

Zuko smiled as he sat down next to her and drew his knees up. As the girl slept soundly, Zuko watched her. Her golden hair trickled over her shoulders, around her waist and slightly over her sleeping face. Her mouth was slightly parted as she breathed contentedly. She was wearing traditional fire nation slave attire which was a red top with no sleeves that left most of her stomach bare, a skirt that came to her knees, tight leggings underneath and sandals. Zuko had to admit, she was beautiful... but the red didn't suit her blue eyes and golden hair. She had looked much better in her white attire.

Slowly he reached over and ran his tanned fingers across the girl's pale cheek. Compared to her fair skin, his hand looked so dark and almost rough and harsh against her fair skin. The girl stirred slightly, and her eyes propped open.

"I apologize your highness," the girl said, sitting up. "I shouldn't have fallen asleep."
Zuko smiled at her soft, sweet voice but stopped her when she was about to stand up. He gently set her back down on the bed, so she was seated.

"I don't mind. You must have been exhausted."
The girl looked down at her hands and began to fidget with her skirt. Zuko smiled. She must be confused as to why he was being so kind to her, considering how Azula treated her.

"I'm sorry about my sister. She isn't nice to anyone. Not even my mother."
The girl kept her head bowed so that her hair shielded her face. Sighing, Zuko reached over and grasped her hand with his. At this, the girl looked at him, a startled look in her eyes. Zuko smiled at her.

"I want to help you. I wasn't able to convince my father to help you so I will try my hardest to protect you from my sister."
The girl bit her lip and looked down at her lap again, "But why master?"
Zuko reached over and cupped her chin with his hand, lifting her eyes to meet his, "First, don't call me master. Zuko is just fine. As for why... no one should be treated like this and you are not a servant. You were a free person before your village was captured. You should not be victim to such a life."
The girl's eyes pooled with tears and she bit her lip to hold them back, but she couldn't contain them and they streamed down her cheeks. She buried her face in her hands and let the tears seep through her fingers, her shoulders shaking with sobs.

Zuko gently wrapped his arms around the girl's shoulders and pulled her against his chest, stroking her hair, "It's alright. You're safe now."
After letting the girl finish crying, Zuko gently lifted her head and looked into her eyes, "I do not believe I know your name."
The girl wiped her still damp face with her hand before managing a small smile, "Shira, ma...Zuko."

A huge grin crossed Zuko's face and he smiled at the girl. Reaching into his robes, he pulled out a handkerchief and offered it to the girl. Shira stared at it as if he had just offered her the key to the world. Slowly she took it but instead of using it, she clutched it in her hands as if afraid to let it go.

Zuko smiled, about to say something else when he heard the all too familiar voice of Azula. "I have to go," he whispered.

Shira nodded. She got down on her knees next to the post and Zuko tied her hands back to the post. However, he made sure that they looked tight, but were really loose. He helped Shira prop herself against the post so she could sleep easier later. He slipped the handkerchief into her pocket so Azula wouldn't see it before looking into the girl's face. The tears were gone but she was looking drowsy.

"I'll be back tomorrow night," he whispered.

Shira nodded and smiled, "Thank you.... Zuko."
Zuko smiled and pushed a strand of hair behind her ear before jumping to his feet and rushing to the door. Peering out, he saw that Azula had left to go locate the key. Slipping out, he made sure the door was closed but unlocked before rushing off. The moment he was a good distance from the room, a huge grin spread across his face.