Chapter 11

Zuko groaned when his back hit th ground, his boy paralyzed from the creature's tongue. Why did he think it was a good idea to bring that beast along in the first place?

He glanced over at Iroh who was also down, half underneath June.

"hey uncle," he remarked. "I didn't see you get hit."
Iroh held a finger to his lips and shushed his nephew. A soft chuckle broke the silence as Raven dropped down from the tree where she had been perched the whole time.

"Here," she said, holding a bottle beneath Zuko's nose.

Zuko breathed in and felt the life return to his limbs, the girl pulling him to his feet but he brushed her off.

"Why didn't you stop them?" Zuko growled at her as she gave the antidote to June.

"They never did me any wrong. I only fight people who have," the girl replied in a calm tone. "I never attack first."
"Why ever not?" Zuko asked, glaring.

"I have been asking myself that for years," June muttered.

Raven smiled, "If I attack someone, it is not justice. If they attack first and I protect myself or others it is justice."
Zuko kept his glare fixed on the girl but found himself intrigued by her words. June sighed and roused her beast before climbing up.

"Well I'm out of here. Need a ride Raven?"
the girl was about to answer when Iroh intervened.

"Why not join us?" he asked. "You are an intriguing person and I would love the company."
"Uncle," Zuko interrupted. "She's a girl."
Raven shot him a cold look before jabbing her foot into his calf, earning a painful yelp from the prince. Iroh leant over and whispered something in the girl's ear so Zuko wouldn't hear him.

"And I could use some help keeping Prince Zuko in check."
Zuko's head snapped up and he gave his uncle a scowl, "What?"

"Nothing," Iroh replied, giving the boy an innocent look.

Raven chuckled, "Well I wouldn't mind the adventure. Though I don't know if I would be any help in the latter."
as the girl headed over to say farewell to June, Iroh smiled and muttered under his breath: "I believe you will child.... More than you know."

********

"This will be your room," Iroh said, allowing the girl to enter the room, "I am down the hall and Zuko is right next to you. He sometimes has dreams so don't be surprised if you hear noises at night."
Raven smiled as she sat on the bed, "Thank you, Lord Iroh."
Iroh shook his head, "Iroh is just fine child."
"Then, Raven is good for me," The girl replied, "Thank you again."
The old man nodded before leaving the girl to settle in. Raven looked around the room, admiring the dark red tapestries that hung on the walls. Grabbing her bag, she stuffed it into the chest in the corner, leaving her scarf in there as well. She climbed on the bed to reach the window in the corner before shutting it closed and locking it.

She pulled her hair into a tight braid before trotting out of the room to explore. When she finally managed to find her way on deck, she found no one around except Zuko. He wore no shirt and was firing fire at multiple targets, panting heavily. He paused for a moment before getting a drink from a bucket of water and splashing some on his face.

"Hey," Raven greeted.

Zuko spun around, having not heard her approach, "Hey."
Raven nodded toward the targets, "Stress reliever?"

"No," the prince replied, wiping his face dry and pulling his shirt on. "I was practicing."
Raven raised an eyebrow and Zuko had a feeling she didn't believe him. "Then why were you frustrated? One would be calm and collected during practice.... Or should be."
Zuko felt his face heat up, having been called out on his bluff but he then scowled, "it's none of your business."
Raven shrugged before throwing one arm out and an icicle appeared form her hand, striking one of the targets, "Sorry that I kicked you earlier. I don't like people ridiculing women because they are thought to be weak. If it weren't for women, no human would be alive right now."
Zuko was startled at her blunt sense she made before he frowned, "You're a waterbender?"
"Nope," the girl said, popping the 'p', "Water benders bend water, then freeze it to make ice. They cannot bend the ice itself. I can however."
With that, she lifted her hands and formed a cube of ice in her hand, placing her other hand over it and it began to make different shapes.

"Never heard of an ice bender," Zuko said, gripping his towel to keep from gaping.

Raven shrugged, "They're not the four of the major benders. They're more minor like light, blood and dark bending."
Zuko froze, "Do you know any light benders?"
Raven shook her head, "Nope. Only heard of them."
Something in Zuko seemed to sink.... In disappointment. A part of him had wished that she would turn out to be Shira.... But Shira wasn't an ice bender and Raven was no light bender. Zuko was brought form his thoughts when the clouds parted and the sun shone down on his head. Looking up, he felt the gentle warmth of the sun on his face. Raven turned to see Zuko looking heavenwards, tears glistening in his eyes. She was about to ask what was wrong when the boy turned and stormed below deck.

"What was that all about?" the girl asked herself.

She looked over at the sunlight before shying away when it began to spread toward her.

"Stop! No! I don't want to see those things again!" she hissed, stepping away from the light like it was a human. "Until you bring me pleasant dreams, I will not let you near me."
The girl turned and high tailed it to the stairs that led below deck. What she didn't see was a small ray of light shone on the tip of her braid.... Her raven black hair glowing gold for a split second before returning to black.