Chapter 12

Raven looked around the table. She was seated across Uncle Iroh between two soldiers. There had been so sign of Zuko at dinner the night before or at breakfast that morning.

"Mr. Iroh," Raven spoke up.

The old man chuckled, "If you're uncomfortable calling me just Iroh, Uncle Iroh is alright."
The girl smiled and nodded, "Uncle Iroh...why does Zuko not like sunlight?"
Iroh had been about to bite down on a piece of meat when he froze, "How did you know that?"
Raven gnawed on her lip, wondering if she had overstepped boundaries, "He was training yesterday and he was in a perfectly alright mood..... until the sun came out then he got... I don't know.... Irritable?"
Iroh shook his head, "Not irritable child... wounded. Someone very dear to him.... was what one would call: as bright as the sun."
"What happened to him?" Raven inquired.

"Not him child.... Her. Her name was Shira and she was the closest thing that Prince Zuko ever came to having a friend. I believe a part of him loved her even more than a friend."
Raven frowned, "What happened to her?"
Iroh sighed, setting his hands in his lap, "She was a slave and it was forbidden for slaves to become close to royalty. Well, Shira was close to Prince Zuko and when the Fire Lord found out, he had the girl tortured and beaten before he banished her. No one has seen or heard from her since."
"Do you think she is dead?" Raven inquired.

Iroh shrugged, "I do not know but I dearly hope she isn't. I doubt anything will help Zuko move on other than Shira."
Raven moved the food around on her plate before looking at Iroh, "Excuse me a moment."
Iroh nodded as the girl got to her feet and as quiet as a mouse, slipped out of the room. It didn't take long for the girl to find Zuko's room since he was next door to her. However, it took her a great deal of time to build up the courage to knock. Would he snap at her? Yell? Or simply ignore her?

Finally, she drummed her knuckles on the door and a muffled voice replied.

"Not now uncle."
"It's not your uncle," Raven whispered through the door.

There was a moment of silence before the voice returned, "You can come in."
Raven opened the door and peered in, seeing Zuko sitting on the edge of his bed, resting his forearms on his legs and his head hanging. Quietly slipping in, Raven closed the door behind her before standing opposite Zuko, deciding to not intrude on his personal bubble.

"Are you hungry?" she asked softly. "You didn't eat dinner nor breakfast..."
"I'm fine," Zuko interrupted in a short tone.

Raven quickly bit the gum of her cheek to keep herself from jumping at her surprise. She knew he was in a short mood but was surprised when he snapped. She quietly walked back toward the door, deciding that she should leave him be when Zuko's voice came back but this time gentle and slightly breaking.

"I apologize," he whispered. "I didn't mean to snap at you."
Raven's hand stilled on the handle before looking at him over her shoulder, "Why do I get the feeling you do not apologize very often?"
Zuko sighed and sat back on his bed, leaning against the pillows and folding his hands over his stomach, "You remind me of someone.... Other than my uncle, you're the only one who doesn't.... irritate me."
Raven chuckled. "Most people aren't irritating... but I think I get what you mean. Your uncle.... Told me about your friend."
Zuko turned his head to look at her, his face still fixed in the usual scowl that he never seemed to be without. Raven shifted on her feet nervously, wondering if she should tread further.

"Shira..." the girl breathed, looking at Zuko to see his reaction.

The young prince's scowl didn't disappear but instead it seemed to change personality. Instead of a frustrated, irritated scowl, it looked like one of pain and his eyes glistened with hurt.