Chapter 4

Zuko checked over his shoulder one more time before slipping into Azula's room and locking it behind him. He had heard Azula storm out of their parent's room, seething before she stormed to Ty Lee's room and locked herself inside. That was when Zuko slipped out of his room with a leather back strapped over his shoulder as he hurried silently to Azula's.

The boy glanced around the room and realized that it was pitch black due to there being no candles or torches on. Using his fire bending, he lit a torch next to the door, giving him enough light to see where the candles were in the room. He quickly lit them before looking around for Shira.

There was no sign of her. She wasn't tied to the post.... Where was she? What did Azula do?

"Shira?" the boy whispered, slowly walking around the room, trying to locate her.

Almost immediately, there was a muffled whimper from behind him and Zuko spun around to come face to face with Azula's wardrobe. Rushing over, he threw the doors open and stared wide eyed and shocked.

Shira was tied up by her hands to the high corners of the wardrobe. Her feet were bound together and there was a gag around her mouth.

"SHIRA!" the boy whisper yelled, trying to not get anyone's attention.

Dropping his bag on the ground, he rushed over and began to untie the ropes. The girl crumbled to the floor, too weak to stand. Kneeling down, Zuko slipped his arms underneath her legs and lifted her off the ground. He set her gently on her back on the bed before removing the gag.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered, "I cannot believe she did this to you.... I shouldn't have played along with her game.... I should have stopped her.... i..."
The boy stopped when a soft finger pressed against his lips. Looking down, he saw that Shira's blue eyes were looking at him weakly, but a soft, gentle smile was on her lips as she held her finger to his mouth.

"It is not your fault Prince Zuko...." She whispered.

"Zuko," the boy corrected.

Shira smiled before nodding, "Zuko. I chose to help you. I knew your sister would be angry, but I wanted to help you. Do not be upset with yourself because of this."
Zuko bit his lip to hold back the tears that threatened to pour out. How could she be so brave and strong at a time like this when he, a boy, was prepared to break down in tears?

"What did she do to you?" he whispered.

"She got my back," the girl whispered.

Zuko was off the bed in seconds, "My mother gave me some things for cuts and burns. Turn around so I can tend to them."
As Zuko rummaged through the bag, he heard the girl sit up and begin to obey him. Grabbing a roll of bandages, Zuko noticed a note attached to the lid of the ointment. It was from his mother:

I told Azula that if she left Ty Lee's room till noon tomorrow then I would tell the king that she nearly killed someone with fire. I stationed a guard at her door to make sure she doesn't leave. Watch over Shira. She needs someone to take care of her tonight. Love, Mother.

Zuko smiled. His mother was the best!
Grabbing the ointment, Zuko returned to the bed and froze. He almost dropped the ointment at the sight before him. Shira had turned around and had removed her shirt, leaving her in a sports bra but it revealed most of her back.... Which was covered in burns and whip scars.

Zuko made a quick prayer, thanking the heavens that Azula wasn't really strong yet so her whipping and burns weren't as bad as an adults would have been, but they were still horrible! There were fresh whip marks on the girl's back, and they were red and oozing.