Chapter 9

Zuko groaned as sunlight streamed into his bedroom on the ship. Rolling over, he pulled the blanket up to hide the light from his face in an attempt to fall asleep again. However, the sunlight refused to give up and kept shining in till it reflected off of Zuko's sword propped in the corner to shine in his face.

"STOP IT ALREADY!" He yelled, throwing the blanket aside and catching the pillow on fire in a fury, "Just go away!"
He slammed his fist into the wall, almost making a dent when Iroh hurried in.

"Prince Zuko? What happened?" his uncle asked with concern.

Zuko growled at the wall before slumping onto his bed with his back to his uncle. Iroh glanced at the sunlight in the window and Zuko's shaking shoulders. This was a familiar sight. Iroh had been with Zuko through the whole of his banishment for the past six years. The sunlight was just another one of those reminders that one of the few things Zuko had to smile about in his childhood was long gone: Shira.

Losing his mother and then losing Shira was the last straw for Zuko. He refused to be up on deck unless absolutely necessary if the sun was shining. He hated the very sight of sunlight in the morning and the one-time Iroh brought a potted plant into his room to lighten the place up, he almost had a mental break down.

Iroh was the only one who knew this side of Zuko and Iroh was the only one Zuko trusted to talk about it or to even have a break down in front of. Sighing, Iroh closed the shutters till it was almost dark in the room before lighting a few candles.

Coming over, he sat down on the bed and placed a hand on his nephew's shoulder, "Everything alright Prince Zuko?"
"Why uncle?" Zuko whispered, his voice hoarse and barely a whisper. "Why did she have to leave...."
Sighing, Iroh shook his head, "I don't know Prince Zuko... but what I do know is that there are times to mourn but there are times to be happy for the person's sake."
"What are you talking about?" Zuko cried, "How can I be happy when Shira is dead!?"
The old man smiled, "Because she would want you to be happy. That is what will make her the happiest is seeing you happy."
"So you're saying I should move on from her?" Zuko asked, his voice cracking.

"Not if you don't wish to." Iroh replied. "I can never move on from your aunt...but she wouldn't want you to be in pain whenever you think of her."

Zuko groaned and slammed his head into the wall, frustrated. Iroh smiled and patted the boy's shoulder before leaving him to his thoughts.

"Uncle... I think I know how we can find the avatar," he muttered.

********

Zuko stormed into the inn with his uncle hot on his heels. There was a crowd of people cheering on an arm-wrestling match that was taking place at one of the tables.

Zuko shoved through and finally found the person he was looking for. June.

"There you are," he grumped, placing his hands on his hips at the woman.

"Oh, look who it is!" June hummed, not taking her eyes off the man she was competing against. "Prince Grump and Uncle Fatso."
Iroh chuckled at the nickname given to him but Zuko just glared, "We need to talk."
Finally June won the match and collected her pay from the people who had bet against her. She dragged the money across the table toward herself.

"So, what do you need me for?"
"I need you to find someone," Zuko replied, still talking like he was ready to kill everyone present. It was his new usual.... And new as in the past six years.

"Oh, did Prince Grump lose his girlfriend?" June taunted.

"I'm not grumpy!" Zuko protested.

June smirked and glanced between the two before shoving her earnings into a bag which she slung onto her back, "On one condition. My partner has to come with me."
"Didn't think you were the type to have partners," Zuko glared, becoming suspicious.

"She's not really my partner," June explained. "More like an acquaintance but I bring her along whenever I don't trust someone. And I don't trust a fat uncle and his bratty nephew."
Zuko was about to jump at her but Iroh held him back, "We would love to meet your partner."
June smirked before looking up at the rafters. That was when the two became aware of a presence up there, hidden in the shadows and so still that someone would think it were a statue.

The person slowly rose to their feet slowly and stealthily like a cat before jumping. Zuko didn't flinch but his hand instinctively heated up just in case. The person that landed on the floor next to June was not what either Iroh or Zuko were expecting.

A girl, probably about Zuko's age whose attire, style and looks didn't seem to match any benders or even that of the gangsters at the inn. She was petite for her age, slender but her body had matured for a young girl of 16, already beginning to look like a woman. Her long jet-black hair falls to her waist and looks incredibly healthy for someone who does not live the high life. She keeps it down except for two pins which hold most of her hair out of her face other than two long strands that frame the sides of her face.

She is fair toned, unlike Zuko and looks almost pale compared to him. Her bright blue eyes are bluer than the sky and full of bright fire, shadowed by thick long black lashes.

Her outfit almost reminds Zuko of a firebender for the color is a deep maroon, but the style is completely off from anyone. She wears a pair of maroon pants tucked into thigh high maroon boots with black straps. She wears a short sleeve maroon top that comes down just above her belly button, showing a strip of her waist. She has sleeves that are the only feminine things about her outfit. They're lacy and thin almost giving the sense of a breezy attitude. Wrapped about three times around her neck is a long scarf. The shorter end falls in front of her while the other end falls behind her, almost to her knees but she doesn't seem to care about the length. What Zuko does notice about her are the cars. Her arms are littered with scars all over and you can only see them if you're close enough. Her palms are strong and calloused from hard work.

The girl flipped her black ponytail out of her eyes and flashed a smile which seemed to light up her whole face.

"Hi, I'm Raven."