Chapter 34; How to get one's friend back.

"What we need is a plan."

Cogs paced back and forth in his room; his head still ached slightly, despite the healing spells that had nearly stitched him up back to normal again.

He still needed time to rest, but time wasn't something they had. According to Pip, Mordren was planning to attack the surface world within a week's time. And though Cogs did not see what the big fuss was about, he knew only two things; Galen said that it was a bad idea, and Galen was the rightful king, so anything he said, went.

Pip, on the other hand, still seemed to be mostly on the side of Mordren. She would make arguments as to why he would make a good king, but when Cogs and Meera brought up the fact that he had banished Archer, she grew quiet.

At times, Cogs wondered if she would simply betray them all over again and relay all their plans back to Mordren. However, when he discussed it with Meera, she stood in defence of Pip.

"I don't think she meant to hurt Archer. I think everything she did for him was out of love for him, and now, all she wants is to get him back. She's torn between two sides, Cogs."

"Well, I wish she'd hurry up and decide who she wants to betray next. It's giving me a headache."

Now, however, Cogs decided that Meera was right. Pip had always been reckless-- bounding from one bad decision to another. Perhaps now all she wanted to do was the right thing.

Looking at both girls, Cogs went on. "Do either of you have any idea how we could get Archer and, more importantly, Galen back before Mordren goes ahead with this whole 'let's kill everyone' thing?"

"We could start by searching the Abyss for them." Pip piped up.

"Yes, but that might involve dying, and I'd rather not die, if that's alright with you... On top of that, we won't be able to see a thing."

"Oh dear, how dreadful. Sounds like a nightmare." Meera replied driely.

Cogs sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Sorry, love. Anyhow, anything else you can think of?"

"Oh!" Pip's face brightened, "What about that big mecha sort of thing that Archer was working on? Mabye we could use it to find them? It would be safer than wandering by ourselves."

"With our luck, we'd step on them." Meera butted in, "No, no. The best way to find them would be with a spell of some sort."

Cogs felt a thrill of hope go through him. "That's it! You have magic, don't you?"

"Only the sort that lets me grow things faster. We would need someone with a red stone to find Archer and Galen. Those with the red stone can sense a lifeforce in complete darkness for miles away-- they can also can steal said lifesource or inflict pain or destruction."

"Mordren has a red stone." Pip muttered.

"Well, that settles it then, we'll just waltz up and ask him to find them!" Cogs growled.

"Look, I'm only trying to help, you twit!"

"That's probably what you thought when you got Archer banished!"

"Enough!" Meera shouted, and Cogs saw her face go red slightly. "Fighting will not help your friend or my king. And yes, it's true that Mordren is the only Abyss dweller with a red stone since the First Age. The only thing we really can do is wait."

"Mordren is leaving within the week," Pip snapped, "Are you saying that we should just expect Archer and Galen to come back on their own? They could be dead for all we know."

Meera's voice remained calm, "And if they are, then it means that the prophecy needed them gone to be fulfilled." she paused, and Cogs felt the urge to put his arm around her, "But perhaps the Ancestors will be kind and they will return when we need them the most."