Chapter 26; The past, the future, and the in-between.

When Pip awoke in the morning, her head ached as though someone had been pounding drums in her skull and her eyes felt puffy and swollen, so much so that she struggle to crack them open in the dim light of the room.

Beside her, she could feel Mordren breathing peacefully and when she turned to face him, she was surprised by how innocent he looked. His usual harsh edges appeared almost soft as he slept and his lips were curled in a soft smile.

Blimey.

Blimey, bloody heck.

Blimey.

Pip shot up in bed, guilt, anger, and a cold fear spreading through her like fire. Great gods above, what had she done? WHAT HAD SHE DONE? She-- she had kissed the prince of the Abyss! In his bedroom! On his bed! She had fallen asleep in his arms, kissed his stupidly handsome face! Bloody heck, she had kissed him!  How could she have been so bloody stupid?

No. She had not wanted it to come to this; she thought she was stronger, better than what she had feared herself to be, that whatever she did, it could not be a mistake. And though she knew she could not possibly love Mordren, she knew he had made her forget... everything. Just for a moment, he had brought her peace with a single action of pressing his lips to her own.

Nevertheless, it had not gone farther than kissing-- thank the gods--  for Mordren had not let it go farther.

"Not when you're like this," he'd said, "You aren't thinking straight."

"Good. Now shut up and kiss me." she's replied in a growl, pressing her lips to his smiling ones.

She wasn't sure how long they'd been like that, how long they held each other, falling asleep in the other's arms.

All those thoughts Pip had had previously-- the ones that she didn't care, that all that mattered was that one moment-- came flooding back in a wave and she groaned, startling Mordren awake.

"Morning, love." he said, yawning.

"Don't call me 'love'." Pip growled.

Mordren sighed in frustration, "Did I do something to upset you? I only kissed you-- and you did let me."

"It's not that."

"Then what is it?" his voice held a spark of annoyance, which only made Pip angrier.

"This." she hissed, gesturing around the room, "Us. Last night. All of it. I'm just so... confused."

She felt him turn her to face him, watched as he gazed at her with a soft look on his face, his eyes studying her intently. "Why? Pip, last night was something. I felt it and surely you must have too. Pip, I--" he paused, sighing, "I've never felt anything like this-- about anyone-- before."

"What about that girl you were kissing before I came in? Are there more just like her? Am I just another passionate night before being tossed aside?"

The prince waved his hands in annoyance, "They don't matter. Not like you do. I only spent time with them because I didn't know you liked me like this. I thought you hated me."

"I do."

"Then why the bloody heck did you kiss me?"

"I don't know!" she burst out angrily, "It's like you put a spell on my brain! You could have, you know."

"Or maybe," he said, smiling cheekily, "You don't hate me as much as you thought you did."

Pip shook her head, swallowing. "But I can't love you either. I can't love anyone like-- like that. Not anymore."