Chapter 16; Call of the Abyss

Archer watched, tensed in an anticipation, as Galen sat beneath the gaping mouth of the Abyss.

The two of them had walked for quite a distance from the palace once dawn had broke-- or rather, what was considered to be dawn in a place such as this-- and had come to the spot where Archer's flying machine had fallen. Apparently, it was considered to be the heart of the Abyss, even though it was not the very center.

As they walked, Archer asked many questions of the geographical sort and the king answered them all with enthusiasm, as if he were glad to have someone to talk to about his kingdom.

Apparently, when Archer and his friends had fallen, they had scraped against the side of the Abyss and landed at its edge. The kingdom of the Abyss, contrary to what Archer had thought, was NOT in the Abyss itself but rather in a series of networking tunnels and caves in the side of the pit. To the right of them, stretched the actual Abyss, hidden in shadow.

"And what lies beyond us? Over there?" he asked, nodding at the expanse of blackness that the glow of the rocks could not penetrate.

Galen shrugged, the small movement causing him to go into a short coughing spasm, nearly toppling over until Archer caught him in his strong arms, holding him upright. Once the king finished coughing however, he replied, "No one really knows what lays in the recesses of the Abyss and my people have never wanted to know.  Some say there are monsters, others say eternal blackness. We banish people there, you know. Criminals and traitors mostly... though I stopped that practice long ago. I know Mordren thinks I was stupid to do so, but I could not stand to think of anyone-- even criminals-- wandering in perpetual darkness, slowly going mad till they were foaming at the mouth." Galen looked at Archer and shrugged, "I suppose that makes me a weak king."

"On the contrary, I think it makes you a kind one. And that makes you one of the best kings in the world."

A gentle smile flickered over Galen's lips and he shifted his gaze away, as if embarrassed.

There was a pause.

Clearing his throat awkwardly, Archer asked as nonchalantly as he could, "Were there explorerers? Those who wanted to see what was in the black expanse?"

Galen thought for a moment, his brow wrinkled in deep thought. "I suppose there were one or two. Why do you ask?"

"Just wondering." he said too quickly. For now, he wanted to keep the quest for his parents a secret, at least until he could fully trust the king. 

They had only known each other for a day, after all.

And yet... Archer felt as though he had known Galen for longer; they shared so many things in common, it was as if they had been friends for years. Perhaps, in another life, they COULD have been close friends growing up, had Galen been a boy living in the surface world. But though they came from such different homes, they shared a bond that no one had with Archer besides Pip and Cogs. Well, in so short a time, that is. It DID take time to develop bonds after all. Even if you happened to like that person very, very much.

Shaking his head to clear it and realizing he had no doubt been staring blankly out in front of him again, Archer helped Galen to sit down cross-legged on the damp stone ground.

 Inhaling deeply, Galen assumed a look of concentration. "This may take a while." he said, "I shall have to ask the Ancestors to help me call back the Abyss. They are finicky at best."

"Will it look awesome?" Archer asked excitedly, bouncing up and down on his toes.

"No, not really. It will mostly be me sitting around muttering old spells."