Chapter 4; The flying machine.

The next morning, Archer stood at the edge of the Abyss.

His flying contraption was strapped to his back, the wind ruffled his red hair, and the Abyss yawned before him, empty, dark, and whispering secrets of a place never before explored by man. Never explored, mostly because to do so would mean death by the Keepers; it was strictly forbidden to go near the pit unless it was for offerings. And yet... Archer's curiosity called him forth, to envision, to explore, and it would not rest until he had SOME sort of clue as to what lay in the Abyss.

Namely, his parents.

Looking down, he felt his body sway slightly, as if he could tip over at any moment, plunging headfirst into what was known as the gate to the Underworld. He shuddered, knowing that this was NOT such a thing, but simply at large crater formed by natural disaster... or a god's wrath. Either way, he was going to glide above it for, while exploring INSIDE the Abyss was forbidden to avoid angering the god of the Abyss, Cratas, no one had said anything about exploring the SURFACE of the Abyss. 

Which was exactly what Archer was intending to do, when suddenly, strong arms grabbed him from behind and dragged him away from the edge, holding him in a grip like a vice.

Startled, Archer thrashed wildly against his captor's iron-like grip, but managed to get absolutely nowhere before he was mercilessly thrown to the ground. Peering up, he looked to see the robed figure of a Keeper, his eyes like fire as they glared at Archer.

The man's head was shaved and on his forehead was a rune of some sort. His robes were black, unlike the traditional blood red robes of Keepers, his black attire marked him as a Head Keeper. He was responsible for making the offerings and sacrifices on the Day of Shadows, and he was by far the scariest person Archer had ever laid eyes on. 

The Head Keeper leaned close to the boy, his robes smelling of inscense, his breath of something foul. Archer noted that the rune on his forehead gleamed a dark red; blood against pale skin.

"And just what did you think you were doing?" the Keeper hissed, his thin lips pulling back in a snarl to reveal yellowed teeth. His whole face was like a skull, cold, lifeless, pale.

Now, Archer was usually one to look on the bright side of things, but he could not seem to find a bright side here. "I was... looking around?" he tried.

"And why do you have that contraption strapped to your back?"

By Thredas' great wooly beard, not much got past him, did it? Archer was trying to think up an excuse that would even make SENSE when the Keeper hauled him to his feet and dragged him over to the edge of the Abyss. Imediately, Archer heart did the sensible thing by nearly flying out of his chest, and the boy fought to keep from whimpering. Now he wished he'd brought Pip or Cogs with him, rather than sneaking out at dawn, telling no one where he was going. Perhaps he would have had someone coming to his rescue about now, and not be hanging by the collar of his shirt over the Abyss.

Oh well.

Once more, the Keeper leaned in-- something that Archer really wished he would stop doing-- and sneered, "What were you doing beside the Abyss?"

Archer thought about it for a moment, the gears turning in his head with rapid speed; if he told the truth, he'd die, if he lied the Keeper would know and he'd still die. Either way, it was not a very promising outcome. 

"I was going to explore." he said quietly after awhile.

The Keeper seemed surprised that he told the truth, yet the surprise quickly turned to a look of pure triumph. "And do you know what the punishment is for exploring the Abyss?"