Chapter Twenty-Eight - Step Up to the Plate

~Harry~

"She called me a whore." Kristen said, answering my question. Susan had called Kristen a whore? No, not possible. Just no. But I looked down at Kristen and knew that it was no joke. What was Susan thinking? My heart started to pump and I forced myself not to clench my hands into fists because I still had Kristen in my arms and did not want to hurt her.

It was Susan who had caused Kristen to run away. I remembered how my heart sank as I watched her run from the room when I was up on stage singing. I also remembered Susan sitting in my seat, which had been next to Kristen's. A detail also came back to memory, one I had not seen before because I was so focused on why Kristen had ran away, it was Susan's face after Kristen had left the room. Did Susan want Kristen to leave?

"You're not a whore." I said pulling Kristen closer to me, burying my face in her hair. The reason my heart had started to pound was because I was beginning to feel angry. An emotion I was not to fund of feeling. A sudden urge of being a shield and defender for the one I love came over me and I whispered confidently into Kristen's ear. "I'll protect you from now on." She pulled away and nodded slightly as she looked into my eyes. I love you, my conscious spoke, and I will do everything in my power to protect you.

I kissed Kristen gently on the forehead and then we both stood. "We better get ready." I said smiling and squeezing her hands. I grab some clothes from my closet and then left the room. This morning, I felt determined to right what has been wronged.

As we pulled up to the office building in the black SUV,  I was mentally preparing myself on what I was going to do. My heart was pounding and my blood was rushing through my vains. I remained calm on the outside however, in order to not look suspicious to anyone. Kristen sat beside me, holding my hand. Hers was warm and welcoming and her sweet fingers locked with mine felt perfectly molded together.

Paul was out of the car first and scanned the area quickly, to make sure that the coast was clear before we started to climb out. After being rushed inside the building, we road the elevator up. Last time I was here, Kristen and I had come alone to talk about our story. Now, I do love her and want her to be mine for real, not just pretend. Wow! What a switch. We entered the business room with the long oval table and black chairs. Paul took his seat next to Simon while Benjamin and Susan stood and motioned for the rest of us to sit down across from them.

I glared at Susan as I sat down and folded my arms over my chest. This woman, who I have worked with for almost 2 and a half years has completely lost all my respect. The meeting began with a general talk about the success of the album release party, though it was cut short. I did not like how Simon insinuated that it was Kristen's fault. I would have run too if I was being treated poorly and less the equal. When we concluded the positive feedback from singing, we started on the hospital visit.

"Now Kristen," Simon began. "Harry brought you hear to assist, not burden him. Let's not have another one of these incidents."

Kristen's nodded solemnly. I could tell by her dropped head that she was feeling the guilt and I did not want that. It should be Susan and me who should be feeling guilty. I shut up quickly from my seat and started to speak. "Simon, with all due respect. Kristen is the victim here." Simons eyebrows raised and he nodded for me to continue. I glanced at Susan, who was starting to look sweaty and uncomfortable in her seat. "Kristen is a victim because it is not her fault she ran. I have been very rude and uncaring to her this past week and I feel guilty for acting the way I did. But," I paused here a moment to gather my thoughts and process them into words. "But Susan also demoralized Kristen further by making an untrue and character breaking comment. Susan called Kristen a whore."

The guys sucked in a bucket of air and shocked spread across their faces. Benjamin, Paul, and Simon remained composed but glanced at Susan with looks asking if what I said was true. Susan lead back in her chair and laughed. She laughed! "We were all thinking it." She said through her laughs. This made my blood boil and I was no longer angry - I think this feeling was best described as rage.

"What you just said Susan, has frankly pissed me off. Kristen is not a whore because I love her. She is my real girlfriend now, not just a hire. You have insulted me Susan by insulting Kristen." I grabbed onto Kristen's hand and pulled her from her chair and then into my arms. "I never want to see you again in a management meeting, Susan. And if I do, I am quiting One Direction. Goodbye." I lead Kristen out of the room by her hand as everyone called for me to come back.