CHAPTER 42

AS MUCH AS AVERY WANTED TO, she couldn't trust this place. There wasn't an exit. Why wouldn't they let them leave if they wanted to? Avery needed to get out and find their people.

Soon it was dinner time and they were brought back to the dining hall. Avery sat by Jasper and Monty and she picked at her chicken. They had proper food down here. And showers.

The chair next to her slid and she looked to see the young boy, Mason, sit next to her with a bowl of pasta, "Hi."

"Hi." Avery smirked at him, "Shouldn't you be with your brother?"

Mason shrugged, "He's working at the moment. He should be here in a few minutes." He looked at the boys across from Avery, "I'm Mason."

Jasper raised his fork, "Jasper."

"Monty."

Mason smiled at them, taking a bite of his food, "So, have any of you seen a black hole before? You know, when you lived in space?"

The three smiled at each other, "No one would be able to live to see a black hole and tell the tale, kid." Avery replied, "They suck everything up around them."

"Oh, right." Mason responded, "Well, what about aliens?"

"I have." Jasper stated,

"You have not." Avery smirked,

"Have, too."

"You were under the influence, Jasper." Monty smiled,

"Dude," Avery threw some of her food at Monty, "There are children present."

"Mason," They all turned to see Beckett walking over, his own plate in his hand, "C'mon, let's go sit over here."

"But I want to stay and talk to Avery." Mason resisted,

"You can talk to her later. Let's leave her to be with her own people." Beckett responded and the young boy sighed,

"All right." He stood and gave Avery a small smile, "See you later."

"See you, Mason."

"Looks like you have an admirer." Jasper smirked, watching the boy walk away.

"More than one." Monty continued and they both looked over to see Beckett staring at her as he sat down at a different table,

"Not my type." Avery mumbled before taking another bite of her food,

"What's your type?" Jasper asked, "Muscled, selfish, leader-type jackasses?"

"Dude." Monty smacked Jasper's arm, "Too soon."

Tears filled Avery's eyes, "No, uh, it's fine." She took a deep breath, trying to get rid of the tears, "Have you seen the desert table?"

"Oh, yeah. I've been eyeing that cake." Monty tapped Jasper's shoulders, "Let's go get some."

They left Avery and she wiped away her tears. She pushed her food away, suddenly not feeling hungry.

The two boys quickly came back over and dug into their deserts, "You have to try this pie." Jasper moaned. The Asian boy quickly took a bit and groaned, 

"Oh, my God. What is that?" Monty asked,

"I don't know, but it's great." Jasper eyes Monty's cake, "My turn."

"What, this?" He shook his head, "Nah. You won't like it. The pie's way better."

Jasper narrowed his eyes and Avery smiled as he tried to take some of the cake but Monty pulled his plate away, "Really?"

"You two are idiots." Avery smirked,

Clarke sat down next to her, "Pretend you're happy to see me."

Avery exchanged looks with Monty and Jasper, "We are happy to see you." She stated,

"You have to try the chocolate cake." Monty joked,

Jasper shook his head, "Oh, it is so on."

"I'm not eating their food." Avery looked over and noticed the stare the blonde was giving President Wallace. She then opened her packet and showed them the map they were given of Mount Weather, "Look. They gave us a map with no exits."

"Yeah, I noticed." Avery commented,

"I need you to tell me everything you've seen. Every room, every hallway, every way out." Clarke said to them,

"Way out?" Jasper questioned "Look around you, Clarke. There's no one hunting us here. First time in our lives we're not hungry. Why would we want to leave?" 

"Because we have friends out there who need our help." Clarke responded,

"She's right." Avery stated, "Think about Bellamy, Octavia, Finn, and Raven."

"They're looking for survivors, and they're way better equipped to find them than we are." Monty said,

Clarke glanced around the room, "This place is too good to be true."

"You're bumming me out. I'm... I'm gonna get more cake." Jasper smiled nervously, standing up and leaving the table,

The three of them watched as he sat with a girl and ate the cake and conversed with her. Avery turned back to the girl next to her, "Look, Clarke, I want to get back out there, too, okay? I want to find them. But we can't do that if we're weak. We need to rest and get better."

Clarke didn't responded before standing up and going over to the two. Monty and Avery exchanged curious glances before Monty took another bite of his cake, "Want some?"

Soon, alarms began to go off and Avery looked over to see that Clarke was gone,

"Oh, no."