CHAPTER 30

AVERY STAYED IN THE DROPSHIP, taking care of the sick while Raven, Bellamy, and Jasper went to make the bomb.

"Clear some space! Lay him down." Avery turned around to see the oldest Blake being placed on the ground,

"No." She whispered, rushing over with a cup of water, "Why couldn't you just stay away, Bell?"

He grabbed her arm, "I need you to take the shot."

Her eyes widened, "What? Bellamy-"

"You can shoot, I know you can. Just like that night at the depot." Bellamy responded, spitting up blood and Avery laid him on his side, "Avery, I trust you."

"I don't want to leave you like this." Avery stated, cleaning some blood from his face,

"You need to go, Avery. Find Finn. I only trust you to make the shot." He squeezed her hand, "Please."

Avery nodded and looked up at Octavia, "Take care of him?"

"Of course."

The brunette girl sighed and leaned down to kiss Bellamy's forehead, "Don't die on me, Blake."

"Wouldn't do that to you, sweetheart." He smiled.

Avery was terrified. She was only able to shoot Dax accurately because of the adrenaline. She wasn't thinking of it. But this... this was totally different.

Octavia gave her a nod and Avery stood before leaving the dropship. She quickly grabbed a gun and went over to Finn and Jasper, "Ready, Spacewalker?"

He nodded and they went to Raven's tent, where the bomb was supposed to be. They walked in to find Monty laying off to the side with a blanket around him, but no Raven.

"Monty, where's Raven?"

"She left a while ago." He answered,

Finn looked over at the table, "The bomb." He turned to look at Avery, " She's planting it herself."

"We need to go... now." Avery said, and the three of them went into the woods after Raven.

"I thought you didn't like the idea of guns." Jasper stated as they jogged through the woods,

"For protection? Yes, but not for random acts of violence with no meaning behind it. Besides, we're blowing up a bridge. There's not gonna be any people on it." Avery glanced up and noticed how light the sky was getting, "We need to hurry."

They paused for a moment, in the distance there was a noise, "Do you hear that?" Jasper asked,

"War drums." Avery whispered, "Let's go!"

"Oh, we're running toward the war drums?" Jasper exclaimed as they kept running, "Oh, I hate this plan."

They made it to an area above and spotted the girl with the red jacket, "Raven!" Finn yelled,

Avery glanced through the scope, "She's still building the bomb." She looked over at Finn, "Get her out of there. Jasper, stay here. I'll line up the shot."

The two ran down and while Finn ran farther to get Raven, Avery stayed a little past the bridge to aim at the bomb, "Get out of there, guys!"

She could spot the torches through the trees and swallowed nervously as Finn and Raven ran past her and into a ditch, "Shoot, Avery!"

Grounders broke through the trees and spotted her, firing arrows. Shots sounded from above. Thank god for Jasper.

"Shoot!"

Avery quickly lined up the shot and fired. It missed.

"Shit!"

She took a deep breath, trying not to panic. She corrected her aim and fired once again.

A shockwave knocked her onto her back. Avery laid there for a moment, clutching her necklace as she let the heat of the bomb fly past her.

"Avery!"

Jasper and Monty ran over and helped her up, "You did it." The two grinned, "I didn't think you could shoot, but-"

"I just choose not to, Jas." Avery sighed, looking up at the smoke cloud, "Now let's get back."

The five of them made their way back, Finn and Avery helping Raven since the two were immune. It was nearly dusk when they made it back. As the gates were opened, the camp cheered.

"I can take her." Avery nodded at Finn as he and Clarke went to the dropship with Raven.

"I knew you could do it." She turned to see the oldest Blake standing there.

He was still pale, but he was steady on his feet, his face clear of blood. Avery smiled and wrapped her arms around him, "You're okay."

"You can't get rid of me that easily, Peacemaker."