CHAPTER 04

THEY SPENT THE NIGHT SLEEPING IN THE FOREST. 

Avery was curled up against a tree, lightly resting in case something else came for them. 

The next morning, the group made a rope from vines and other vegetation to make a rope to swing across the river with. There was no way they were going to swim across, not with that lake monster around.

"You wanted to go first. Now quit stalling." Finn stood on top of the highest rock, testing the strength of the rope,

"Mount Weather awaits." Finn smiled,

 "Just hang on till the apogee, and you'll be fine." Jasper told him,

"The apogee like the Indians, right?"

"I think that Apache, not apogee." Avery stated, standing behind them. She didn't want to be near the water, not after what happened the day before.

"He knows." Clarke grinned, "Today, Finn."

"Aye, aye, captain." He saluted, "See you on the other side."

"Wait." Jasper stopped him,

"What?"

"Let me. I can do it." Jasper stated, grinning at Octavia,

"Knew there was a badass in there somewhere." Finn patted him on the back and handed him the rope,

Jasper let out a small chuckle and adjusted his grip nervously, "Hey, it's okay to be afraid, Jasper. The trick is not fighting it." Finn told him,

"See you on the other side." Jasper ran and jumped from the rocks and cheered loudly.

Avery closed her eyes, not wanting to see him fall. She heard a distant thump and everyone cheered. She opened her eyes to see Jasper standing on the other side, hands up in the air.

"You did it, Jasper!" Avery smiled,

"Let's go, Princess. You're up." Finn said to Clarke and she went over to the rope, ready to follow after Jasper.

"Whoo! Apogee!" Jasper called out, holding up a metal sign, "We did it! Mount Weather! Whoo!" 

Everyone started cheering loudly but everything went silent as a spear went over their heads and directly into Jasper's chest. Avery let out a scream in horror as Clarke grabbed her arm, "Avery, let's go!"

"We're not alone." She whispered, looking back at Clarke, "We're not alone out here."

The four ran through the forest, back towards camp. Monty tripped in front of them and Avery stopped to help him up. She looked at what he tripped on and backed away in horror. In front of them, on the ground, was a large skull.

"Monty, get up!" Octavia yelled,

 "Who are they?" Finn asked, coming up behind her and spotting the skull, "What are they?"

"We are so screwed." Octavia stated and in the distance there was a scream.

It was Jasper.

"Jasper. He's alive." Clarke began running back towards the river and Finn followed,

"Clarke, wait. Wait!"

"I can't run anymore." Octavia rested against a tree trunk, gripping her thigh in pain.

"We need to get you back." Avery said, looking at the girl while helping Monty stand, "I don't want to be out here any longer than we have to be." She began to feel sick looking at all the bones that littered the ground.

Soon, Clarke and Finn came back, "Where is he?" Monty asked, "What happened."

Clarke paused and looked at all of them, "They took him."

"Why?" Avery questioned, "Why do they want him?"

The blonde girl sighed, "I don't know."