CHAPTER 20

AVERY WATCHED IN HORROR as Finn continued to convulse on the makeshift table in front of her. The moment he stopped, she noticed a white foam leaking from between his lips.

"It stopped. Quick, help me get him on his side." Avery rushed over to help flip him over as Raven stood there, "Raven, there is fluid in his lungs. He could choke. Quick." The three of them worked to move him so the fluid could safely leave his mouth without him choking, "He's burning up."

"Fluid in his lungs. Does that mean the knife hit something?" Avery asked,

"This isn't blood. It's something else." Clarke said as she wiped the foam away, "I did I did everything she told me." Clarke paused, "I've seen this before. Shortness of breath. Fever. Seizing. It's poison."

"Clarke, you sterilized everything. We watched you do it." Raven stated,

"Not everything." Clarke walked around and grabbed the Grounder's knife that Clarke pulled out of Finn before heading towards the ladder, "Stay here."

"Clarke what are you going to do?" Avery asked but the blonde didn't answer as she headed up to the third floor.

Avery wanted to follow, but needed to stay for Finn. She quickly grabbed a cloth and dipped it in cold water before placing it on Finn's forehead, trying to bring his temperature down.

He started to convulse again and Avery looked up at Raven, "Help me hold him down."

Avery grabbed his shoulders while Ravel held down his torso,  "Clarke! He's getting worse!"

He went still and Avery looked at his chest. It wasn't moving. She leaned down towards his face and didn't feel or hear his breath, "He's not breathing."

"What?" Raven looked up at her,

"He's not breathing!" Avery pushed him back onto his back, "I'm gonna... I'm gonna try CPR."

"Hurry!" Raven cried, "I can't lose him."

Avery tilted his chin upwards to open his airways before pinching his nose close and breathing into his mouth, "C'mon." 

She did it a few more times before Finn coughed and started breathing once again. The two let out a sigh of relief,

"Keep an eye on him, I'm going to see what the hell they're doing." Raven stated before heading up to the third floor,

 It was moments later when the lights began to flicker. Avery flipped Finn back onto his side so he wouldn't choke before going up to the third floor,

"Which one is it? Come on!" Avery made it up the ladder and watched in horror for a moment as Raven held wires to the Grounder, electrocuting him, "He's all I have."

"What are you doing?!" Avery yelled,

"He's letting Finn die!" Raven screamed,

 "Stop!" Everyone turned to Octavia, who was holding the poisoned blade, "He won't let me die."

"Octavia, no!"

She cut into her skin, drawing blood. She then walked forward and began pointing the different vials until the Grounder nodded at the vial filled with a pale yellow liquid. Octavia handed it to Clarke and she rushed downstairs to give it to Finn with Raven.

Bellamy reached down and grabbed Octavia's shoulders and she pushed him off, "Don't touch me!"

He turned to Avery, who was shaking, "Is this who we are now?" She asked, tears filling her eyes, "Because right now, I don't think he's the monster."