Chapter 1

KEHLANI'S POV

"Kehlani wake up you gon' be late for school." my mom said as she was shaking me so I can wake up. I groaned as I finally got up after her shaking me for a few more seconds.

I sat up on my bed and stared into space for like five minutes. Its my first day at a new school in a new state. Me and my mom moved from Dallas, Texas to Harlem, New York a few days after Thanksgiving.

I'm not gonna lie and say I'm not nervous because I have major butterflies in my stomach. But I shook it all off and went to my to my closet to pick out some clothes.

I picked out a yellow cropped hoodie that said "SAVAGE", some black pants, and some black and yellow low top checkered Vans.

After I got dressed and did the rest of my morning routine, I grabbed my phone from the charger and checked the time. It's 6:30. "I don't know what my momma was trippin' for. School starts at 8:30." I said to myself.

After going through my social media like Instagram and Snapchat, I went downstairs to get breakfast. When I walked into the kitchen, I saw my mom already eating some of the breakfast she made.

"You finally decided to get up." she said with a sarcastic smile. "Its only 6:30 and it takes ten minutes to get to the school and class starts at 8:30, why are we in such a rush?" I asked.

"Because you still need to get you're schedule and a tour of the school since we didn't you didn't get to when we met the principal."

"Okay." I sighed and and started eating my food.

By time it was 6:45, we were walking out of the house and to the car. The car ride was silent because my mom had her earbuds in listening to whatever she was listening to, while I just had my eyes on my phone the whole time.

8 MINUTES LATER

We pulled up to the school and my heart was beating out of my chest. My mom noticed how nervous I was and turned to me and said, "Don't worry, Kehlani. You'll be fine. You have the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. I hope you have a great day."

I nodded and we hugged and said our goodbyes. When I got out of the car I waved to my mom as she started to pull out of the parking lot.

I got inside the school and kids were already staring at me and I avoided eye contact with all of them as I wallked down the hallway, looking for the counselor's office. Finally finding his office, I walked in and stopped when I saw him talking to another student, whose back was facing me.

"Man, 'dis is some bullshit. I got sent to yo office for no damn reason." The student said, crossing his arms and the counselor sighed.

"First, watch your mouth. Second, you were smoking on school grounds. You know that does not set a good example for-" he cut himself off when noticed me standing in the doorway. "Marlon, could you wait a minute?" He asked and the guy smacked his teeth, turned and walked away from his desk.

I finally saw his face, so I was able to describe him. He was a tall brown-skinned guy with curls at the top of his head. He wore a black shirt with blue jeans that were kinda sagging. "Wassup." He nodded his head as he passed by me.

"Hi." I lowly said back.

"Hello Miss Kennedy." He greeted with a small smile and I smiled back. "So you are here to your schedule and everything right?" He looked in a stack of papers next to him and I nodded.

"Yes I am."

"Okay, here you go." He handed me my schedule and I took a quick look at it.

"Marlon, could you come back in here really quickly?" He asked, looking passed me at the guy and he walked back into the room.