2

"What the hell is this? This issue is going on for the past three weeks and I had no clue about it? I need the Head of the Design Department in my cabin within the next three minutes or you're fired", the green eyed boss yells at his assistant.

He walks stiff and furiously into his cabin and punches the numbers on the desk phone. "Jeffrey, I need the production report of the past three weeks in ten minutes on my table. And also, inform the production and Design team that they'll have a meeting sharply at noon", he hung up without giving a chance for the other person to speak.

The knock on the door caught his attention, as he walked towards his chair and sat majestically before permitting them inside.

"Sir, I've the reports as per your request", the woman who was roughly in her early forties spoke up with a slight wavering in her voice, which didn't go unnoticed by Harry.

"Why am I hearing that old designs are recycled and used for the newer models, Mrs. Shane?", he questioned authoritatively making her sweat profusely.

"I'm sorry if someone gave a wrong information to you, sir. We haven't done any such thing", she replied unsure.

"Hmm.. so, you're saying that it's not the case. Is it?", he questioned standing up, while gesturing her to remain seated. She nodded in reply, too afraid to speak. "Then, I must say you're losing your creativity. On the basis of the design report you've just brought in for my review, it's as clear as a day that the designs are being recycled, which in turn is affecting the production and sales by a huge margin. Do you have any answer for that?", his voice sounded calm but demanding.

"The interns we hired are just picking up and their designs are not up to the mark, sir. They're still learning the hang of it and it might be an issue too", she said as an excuse.

"Oh I see. So the interns are the problem", he questioned rhetorically as she nodded. "How many years experience do you have as a designer, Mrs. Shane?", he wondered making her confused.

"Eighteen, Sir", she answered without a doubt.

"And in our company?", He pushed.

"Since the start of the company, sir", she replied with an attitude. He nodded thoughtfully.

"Do you think there's anyone who could be a worthy contender for your post?", he questioned making her frown.

"I'm the best fashion designer in the competitive market out there, sir. There's no one better than me", she replied arrogantly.

"Hmm. Good. Then you won't have any problem finding a new job then. You have thirty minutes to leave the campus", he decided going back to his chair, leaving her mouth open wide in shock.

"What? Why? But you can't do that", she retorted.

"You're fired. Yes. I can do anything I want, seeing this is my company. There are three things a leader or a head should never do. Number one, passing the blame on your subordinates. They're under you for a reason. They're a fresh lot, while you're more experienced than them. Number two, denying the truth. You're wavering voice gave it away that you're scared. You shouldn't have a reason to fear if you're right.  And number three, arrogance. It's good that you have all three because I wasn't even going to keep you in my company after the loss we have faced due to your inefficiency. So, you may gladly walk out", he announced with a finality.

"You can't find a designer like me anywhere. Even you aren't as good as me", she bounced back.

"Yet, ironically, you're working for me and I'm paying you. What a time", he shook his head faking disappointment. She turned on her heel to walk out when he called her again. "You won't be receiving your salary for the month. It will be added to all the interns you blamed as a bonus to their stipends", he ended as she walked out, while Jeffrey walked in with the reports.