Chapter Fifty-Eight

Start from the beginning

With one more pat on the shoulder, the woman left, leaving me in front of the door to the roof. In a final moment of preparation, I checked my holsters, making sure there was nothing for any of my four guns to get caught on. I double-checked my extra mags, making sure they were accessible. I didn't even know if I would have a chance to use them, but they made me feel a little better.

Once I had checked everything, there was no more stalling; I couldn't risk it. There was no way I would risk testing Kaage's patients. He had already proven that much.

Taking a deep breath and readjusting the rings on my fingers, I pushed the door to the roof open. I wasn't sure what to expect. I wasn't sure if the demon was going to come at me at full strength, taking me at a disadvantage, or if there was going to be a moment of peace before the war started. Taking a few steps out onto the roof, I found that it was the latter. Kaage sat on the ground in the middle of the roof, Ishida standing at a respectable distance behind the power-hungry creature. 

The man looked like I had never seen him before. Sure, he had always been weary-looking, a crazed look to his frightening eyes, but this was different. The man was bent over, a hand on his stomach. His knees shook, and there even seemed to be clumps of hair mission from his head. His skin was like nothing I had ever seen before. It was ashen-gray with a little bit of a green tint to his cheeks; it looked like he was going to be sick at any moment. He was in no condition to fight.

What could Kaage have up his sleeve this time?

"I was beginning to think you wouldn't come, Matsuda," the red-eyed demon said, his gravely voice unnaturally soft. The sound of it sent chills up my spine just like it had the first time I'd heard it. Effortlessly, the demon pulled himself to my feet, taking a few steps toward me. I had to resist the urge to stumble back from the creature, but I couldn't show my weakness; that would be admitting defeat. Kaage motioned for the man behind him to step forward until the human was standing by the demons side.

"You know what time has come, Ishida," the demon said, putting a hand out in front of the other male. Ishida produced a small dagger, resting it in the more powerful creature's hand. I steeled myself for the beginning of battle, but what happened next was not expected. With one swift twist of his wrist, Kaage plunged the dagger into Ishida's throat. I couldn't help the gasp that escaped my lips.

Blood spurted from the man's throat, red droplets spraying from his lips as he coughed and gagged on the crimson liquid filling his throat. I could do nothing but stare as Ishida's knees crumbled beneath him, and he fell to the ground, the side of his head hitting the hard cement with a sickening thud. Blood started to seep from that wound as well, staining the ground beneath him.

"He was nothing more than a mere puppet for me to use to do my dirty work," Kaage explained, using a barefoot to push the dead man onto his back, Ishida's lifeless eyes staring up at the sky. "His blood will only give me more power. I am free. I am not held back by the weaknesses of a mere mortal," he said, clear disgust lacing his voice. "In reality, his blood will be my weapon," he said, looking at the lifeless body with disdain.

The demon with blood-red eyes put a hand out over the body, his palm facing the earth. Before my very eyes, Ishida's blood started to gather, draining all color from his skin, the skin going gray. The blood rose to the demon's pale hands, coagulating and coming together to form a great broadsword. Kaage's eyes held undeniable bloodlust as he stared down at the dry body of the man he had just killed.

"I hope you had a chance to say goodbye," the demon said, and that was all the warning I got before he was rushing forward, blood sword clasped tightly in both hands. It a split second, adrenaline was being dumped into my bloodstream, and I suddenly remembered all of my training.