(11) It's Too Cold For This Shit.

"Fall in love whenever you can." Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

Lilli and Ororo were standing in the hallway outside of Cerebro, where Professor Xavier apparently was doing something. Lilli was telling Ororo stories of her normal life in Ohio, speaking loudly and using hand gestures and facial expressions. She was specifically sharing funny customer service stories from her job. Ororo seemed to like those the most.

The loud hiss of escaping air brought Lilli out of her storytelling and drew her attention to the door to Cerebro. Professor X was leaving and coming into the hallway where Lilli and Ororo stood waiting for him. He looked momentarily shocked to see Lilli, but he quickly regained his composure.

"Lilli, how wonderful to see you again," he said, his British accent strong. Lilli smiled stickily at him— she still was sure he was the one who'd caused her to leave back in September.

"Pleasure's mine, Professor," Lilli said, her voice tight. "What were you doing in there? I don't believe I saw you out defending the school with the rest of the X-Men."

Professor Xavier blinked, looking offended. "I was with all of the other students and keeping them safe."

Lilli raised her eyebrows at him. "So that's the story you're gonna tell everyone, huh?"

Professor Xavier looked taken aback. "Lilli, what are you—"

"Don't listen to her, Professor," Ororo butted in, trying to ease the palpable tension that had filled the hallway. "We actually came to talk to you about something."

"Please, go ahead," Professor Xavier said, gesturing for them to speak.

"Back in September, I was 18 years old and I'd graduated high school," Lilli began. "However, I was still taking high school classes upon your request."

"My request? You'd told me you wanted to continue taking classes," Professor denied. Lilli raised a finger to shush him.

"Please don't interrupt me, Professor Xavier. As I was saying, you'd made me continue taking high school classes. When I went to you to talk about how I didn't want to be in high school anymore, you let it slip that the rest of the X-Men were not taking their classes, but in fact they were gathering intel and training and trying to protect the Institute." Lilli paused to glare at Professor Xavier, who was leaning back in his chair and watching Lilli in interest. "You told me that I was 'just 18' and you didn't think that I was capable enough to fight in the war."

"Lilli also said that Cas had never told her she was invited to our meetings and training sessions," Ororo added. Lilli nodded in agreement.

"So I was telling Ororo that same story when she told me it didn't sound like something that you would've said," Lilli continued. "I told her it was definitely you, and I suggested we come find you to settle out argument. Please, Professor Xavier, tell Ororo it was you who I spoke to the day I left."

"I would love to tell Ororo that it was me," Professor Xavier said. Lilli nodded her head, smiling at Ororo in triumph. "Except that would be a lie."

The smile melted off of Lilli's face as a pit of dread formed in her stomach. "What?" She asked, thinking she's misheard.

Professor Xavier smiled up at Lilli. "Lilli, that wasn't me. I was speaking with Kurt about the fight that he'd been in with Warren."

"W-what? No, wait. You're messing with me," Lilli spluttered. She'd been completely sure that Ororo was wrong. Ororo had to be wrong. Because if it hadn't been Professor Xavier.. it had to have been Cas.