(3) Thoughts and Worries Can Sicken a Youthful Mind

"Another fall, another turned page: last year's mistakes had been wiped clean by summer." (Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner)

Lilli snorted.

Cas and Tree gave her confused looks while Chaos glared.

"Lilli, sh." Cas hushed, shooting her a look telling her to shut up.

"Young lady, what's so funny?" Chaos asked, tilting his head.

Lilli covered her mouth with her hand and shook her head. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry," she giggled, "but you could not have made that sound any creepier if you tried."

"Do you want me to try?" Chaos shot back. Lilli suppressed her laugh and shook her head.

"Nope. No. You keep on talking. Go on right ahead. What's your master plan?" Lilli asked, gesturing towards him to continue. Chaos took a deep, calming breath before continuing.

"You two are representatives from both Kezing and Xavier. You know how they run. Help me destroy them, and you'll be given eternal power." Chaos said, looking Lilli and Cas dead in the eyes.

"Until we die," Lilli added.

"Which–if you join me–won't be for a very long while." Chaos said.

"Is that a threat?"Cas asked, narrowing his eyes at Chaos. His Dutch accent was more prominent because he was angry.

"No, not a threat. A warning." Chaos replied.

"Chaos, we don't want anything to do with you," Cas scoffed. "Lilli, come on."

"Hey, when did I ever say I'm not interested?" Lilli exclaimed.

"Are you?" Chaos asked.

Lilli laughed. "No. You're not very convincing."

"Then I believe our business here is done. We'll be going now." Cas said, standing up. "Don't kidnap us again."

Lilli stood up as well, being careful to not hit her head against the ceiling. "Bye now!" She smiled at Chaos.

Chaos looked up at them with a pointed look. "I hope you'll reconsider my offer. There's a lot we can do together."

Tree ushered them back through the tunnel, where once again Cas had to pacify Lilli with his powers. When they finally made it out of the smaller, older tunnels and back into the main part of the mansion, Tree dumped them off outside with two bicycles and an order to find their own way home.

Lilli looked around her at the mansion she had been held hostage. It was stunning. But the scenery was even better. The property was situated at the top of a valley. Far down below, nestled between both sides of the valley, was a small village. Across the valley were empty farmlands. On the property, however, was a large vineyard and extensive gardens.

The sun beat down on Lilli and a warm breeze ruffled her hair as she looked back at Cas and the two bikes they'd been left with. She shook her head. Of all people for her to be stranded with, she had to be stuck with Cas.

"You ready to go?" Cas asked, already sitting on the bicycle. Lilli took him in for the first time since they'd been reunited. His curly brown hair was a little longer. He seemed more built and muscular and less of a young lovestruck boy. He was wearing a flowy blue shirt with white flowers on it tucked into light wash cuffed jeans, complimented by white Adidas. He seemed different yet the same. Lilli suddenly wondered what he actually looked like. Was it just the hair color that was different? Or was his whole face completely different as well?