(8) Why Buy a Car When You Can Just Hitchhike?

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style." Maya Angelou

The next three hours of Lilli's life were... hectic, to say the least.

And very, very, satisfying.

Mr. Vampire and Chris had at first begged and pleaded with her to take mercy, presumably because they didn't know what Lilli's mutation was. She got them to sit quietly in the back of their truck while she drove and drove and drove, munching happily on the food they'd bought her. Over time, their patience started thinning and they would ask where she was taking them.

"Shut up," Lilli would always snap before threateningly raising her fingers to her temple. It always effectively scared them into being quiet for at least the next fifteen minutes. However, after around three and a half hours, they started getting braver and taunting her with what she would do to them. Lilli started growing nervous so she finally decided to pull over at an intersection.

"Where are we?" Chris asked, looking out the window into the pitch blackness.

Lilli reached into the passenger seat and grabbed the plastic bag from the gas station that still held a few bags of chips and a water bottle. Turning around, she grinned at her companions. "Get out."

"Where are we?" Chris asked again. He peered out of the window, but, once again, saw nothing.

"I'm not getting out," Mr Vampire said stubbornly. Lilli frowned.

"Okay, we can do this the hard way then." She said, pretending to be upset. "I tried to warn you boys, but..."

Lilli turned on her invisibility for the first time in months, completely popping out of sight of the Kezing agents. She set the bag down and clambered to the spacious backseat, opening the side door next to Chris. He jumped, whirling around and looking for her. Lilli grinned before raising her leg and kicking him out of the truck. She turned to Mr Vampire and did the same to him before reaching and closing both doors. She clambered back to the driver's seat and turned visible again. Grabbing the plastic bag, she rolled down her window and threw it out.

"The nearest town is ten miles that way!" She called, pointing to the left. It was too dark, so the two agents couldn't see which way she pointed.

"Which way?" Mr Vampire called, but Lilli had already started to drive off. The two started trying to chase her down, but Lilli was faster. In a minute they were long gone.

Lilli exhaled in relief. "Where the hell am I?" She wondered out loud. She really had no clue. She didn't know where the nearest town was— that had been a lie. "A little bit more planning would've been handy, Lilli." Lilli muttered to herself as she kept driving straight. She'd really not thought her plan through. Twenty minutes later she reached a tall sign that read "Welcome to Cambridge, OH."

"Ohio?" Lilli gasped. "I'm back in Ohio? Shoot..." Lilli pulled over to the side of the road and parked the pickup, digging around in the glove compartment. "Aha!" She exclaimed, pulling out a road map. She leaned into the pool of light that the little light above the dash gave off and flipped through until she found Ohio. A few moment later, she found Cambridge on the map. A few very confusing moments after that, she'd drawn a route to Rochester. She was 70% sure it was correct.

"Lilli, next time you purposefully get lost, you need a better game plan," Lilli moaned to herself as she dropped her face in her hands. She was exhausted, and a quick glance at the clock on the dash told her it was nearing three in the morning. From her estimates, Rochester was hopefully around six hours away, which meant she would get to the Xavier Institute— hopefully— sometime around nine in the morning. And that's if she didn't get lost and her estimates were correct.