Chapter27: Taunts and Tangents

A/N: Added an addition to the end that fills this chapter out 🖤 my heart continues to go out to those he have suffered at the hands of police brutality, my family along with you 🙏🏽
***

I sit in Zoe's computer chair, scrolling through the listings on my phone. The cute little apartment zooms past. I'm not surprised by that. After refreshing the page out of boredom fifty times, I was in a haste to get to it. I scroll back up.

"I found one," I spin in the chair.

Zoe pushes off the floor with Monet shadowing her. She stumbles at first, before getting into a brisk walk. She doesn't even need her crutches anymore.

"Oh my gosh, Ana!"

Her squeal is contagious as I slide through the pictures.

"It's well within our budget: two rooms, three baths, living room, dining, walk-in closets, in-home laundry-"

"You should've started with walk-ins!" She takes my phone, "This is perfect!"

Thank God, 'cause I wasn't planning on listing any of my other properties for one of her fleeting ideas. I've already had to decline too many offers on one of my nicest homes.

"Maybe... I should go back to work..."

My eyes pop out of my head. "Work? Work where?" My humor doesn't negate the surprise in my voice. Zoey's full of bright ideas this week.

She chuckles, "At P.I., you know, with Kevin-"

With. Why with and not for?

"I- I never got to put in my two weeks."

"I told you, I took care of it. You were... in a coma. You shouldn't feel guilty about that. They understood and moved on to other prospects. That along with offering to pay your medical bills."

"I know, I just- I kinda feel like I let him down. I wanted to do my best there and make him happy."

My brows form a quizzical arch. "Who?"

I shouldn't feel offended by that. But I can't help but question her motives behind that statement. Conner is a grown man with his own hand-me-down career. The only person she could be referring to is Kevin. That wouldn't sit right with me. As much as I'm impartial to her and Conner's relationship, I don't want to see them hurt each other.

It would hurt me. It would hurt all the people I hurt to protect them. It would hurt all the people they've hurt with this affair.

I didn't become complacent for no reason.

She doesn't reply. "When can we go and see our new place?"

I want to pry, but I decide not to. I sigh instead.

"Whenever you're ready. But it's in my contract to write up a new agreement with your father if conditions in the estate change. I'll have to discuss this move with him."

"Do what you want, bruh." Her face scrunched up like she smelled something foul. Even as she crosses over the bed to leave the room, I can see the unattractive look. "Just know, I have nothing to say to him."

I roll my eyes. I never asked.

I pick up my phone and dial a familiar number.

"I know you're in town."

"Well, hello to you too, Ana. Care to explain why you're stalking me?"

"Don't get big-headed. If you didn't start keeping secrets I wouldn't have to use my resources on you. Something you never complained about when it was anyone else."