Chapter23: Queen vs. Jester

"Now. Find them now!" I boom.

My girls and I had uncovered two of the bugs that Tony planted in the Secret Maids Club. Despite our devices successfully being able to detect them -and shifting through the camera footage- I'm not satisfied with our discoveries. I'll never be satisfied. I'll never feel safe.

That isn't wholly Tony's fault either. While driving here I felt my stomach churning and bile attempting to bubble to the surface.

I don't want to be here, I'd thought. This is where I received the worst news of my life.

A sudden ache consumes my chest at the memories. Zoe was dying... and I was here. I was here empathizing with the man that put her in that position.

Then there's Conner. I still can't get his sobs out of my head. He sounded as helpless as I felt: as helpless as this place will always make me feel. Nothing good ever comes from clubs, it seems. Burying and recovering their secrets always comes at a deadly price.

"Found one," Amie waves the tiny, black device in the air.

"Keep looking," I command sadly.

This is a step, however. A single bug closer to keeping myself from getting bit. Let's destroy the damn insects before they destroy me, I think as I quickly walk over to her and smash the infernal machine.

We search the mansion frantically: from chairs and plants to paintings. Four more turns up as my mind raced wildly.

I wonder what the hell that girl heard on these devices. What does she know? The last time I was here was because of the Mike situation. That was over two months ago. She wouldn't just sit on that information. Yet, if she had interfered with Mike and Paisley the ramifications would have been made known to me a long time ago. That's assuming she knows. If she does, how is she planning on using this knowledge? I've worked too hard to tie up those loose ends to have them unravel.

Encroaching footsteps alert me to someone's approach. For a moment, I'm uncertain. The clicking of heels is followed unceremoniously by the thudding of tennis shoes. Some else is with her, and my mind fills with dozens of thoughts of who it could be. I'd been betting on her coming alone.

Tony enters first, as expected. Her eyes turn to each of us in turn, hopping about the room like a stone skipping on water. Behind her enters Diamond. Her milk chocolate hair swaying behind her despite her sudden halt.

We all stare intently. Tony gives a toothy smile.

"Shit. We've been set up."

"Who set you up, Tony?" I ask in a sincere tone.

Despite how genuine I sound, there is truth in her words. She's only here because I want her here. I want her to know that I know, and using Rachel to do that had given me more insight than I had hoped.

Rach told me that Tony received her special privileges from Diamond. This "member only" manor seems to be open to anyone who wants to take me down. Diamond agreed to help Tony under the condition that she only comes during non-work hours or when the Manor is empty. However, the fact that Tony and Diamond are working this closely wasn't among her knowledge.

The quickness of my words and fringed confusion startled her. For a second, I can see the wheels in her head turning. Her thoughts are plain on her face; "had I almost given one of my secrets away". The answer is no; the card she'd pocketed is one I played, and I have a desire to keep it close to her. From the look on her face -the way she tries to replace it with a coy smile- she's playing right into my hand.

"No one," is her defiant response.

I reply with silence. I casually make my way to a cluster of chairs and sit in silence. My back faces her.