Chapter2: The Stench of Irony

A/N: New update! 

Hope you enjoy and vote!

Comment what you think of the revival of this book XOXO

A towel absorbs the water trickling down my damp skin. The bathroom door is opened, giving me a full view of the bedroom, and Dawson a full view of me. His bareback rests against the headboard as he sits comfortably on the bed.

My eyes travel down his chest, abs, and to the V of his crotch. He's... quite the sight... to say the least.

Just the sight of him in our home, in our bed, is enough to put me in a state of euphoria. Then, reality hits, and I remember that it's only temporary. This is a sanctuary that we built around his life, around his family, around our secret.

No matter how much I try to make this real, I can never understand the reason why he is still with her. I understand that he wants to set an example, but Zoe is almost an adult now. So why is he still with her?

A heavy sigh relieves me of that thought. I refuse to think about it. Her existence is the bane of mine. Once his marriage crosses my mind it's impossible for me to calm down. There's a surge of negative emotions. Every time I think of it I want to do the thing that he's most afraid of.

Leave.

"Zoey should be home in an hour." Dawson's voice pulls me from my thoughts.

"Already?" I whine, a pout sneaking onto my face.

"Well, we were at it for about four hours, babe." A smirk paints his handsome face as a blush rises upon mine.

"We don't have to worry about Zoe."

"Why?" his voice is hard despite its depths.

I'd be stupid to tell him that Zoey ditched school. Some of my, let's call them employees, sent me a text saying she never showed up to school after she left. If Dawson found out he'd be extremely upset. Zoey already thinks he doesn't care about her. His reaction would only make things worse. I'll talk to her about it, so it's nothing that should be of his concern.

"Because she told me she was going by her best friend's house after school." I shrug him off as I wipe the moisture from my skin.

"Jenniferia?" He asks as if Zoey has any other best friend. "For...?" Anger is hinted in his overprotective tone. If there's one thing you can't deny about this man, when he loves, he loves hard: no matter how ironically he shows it.

"Don't worry, she's just helping out with Connor's party. Are you going to that, by the way?"

"No, I have a meeting soon. I'm going back out of state."

I pout. "Again, so soon?" My knee digs into the soft mattress as I crawl to him. "I'm going to miss you."

"I'm sorry." 

There's a glint of mischief in his eye before the towel is pulled off of me. I grab it with a gasp and bring it back to my chest. 

"You know," he lays me down beside him, "you don't have to be so shy around me."

"Well, until we're married, I can't help it, darling." I snap sweetly.

"In this moment, pretend we are, okay? I love you, Ann."

But do you love me enough to leave your wife?

I ignore the thought and give an honest reply. "I love you too."

About three hours later I am back at the Graceffa estate. It's begun to get late and Zoey still isn't home. I've been here for an hour, so why isn't she? I'm worried sick about her. She's obviously fine, but I can't shake my unease.