Chapter15: An Eye for an Eye

A single ding echoes throughout the penthouse like a doorbell through a home. It disrupts me from the catatonic state I prescribed to in order to maintain my bearings. Yesterday and today seem to blur together like the end of a year and the beginning of a new one. Zoey's condition concerns me, yet I've heard no news. The concern uneasiness me. The lack of knowledge makes my stomach jitter like a cobblestone path beneath horses hooves, yet the guilt keeps me awake. I watched the sunrise for the first time in years, though the colors didn't make the sky seem any less dull.

The security panel near my elevator picks up an audio and visual feed from the first floor. "Yes?" I ask the bellhop who, despite previously directing him to send the man straight up, is about to request my approval. "Goodmorning, Ms. Price. You have a visitor." The kid in the red and gold uniform of the Towers sounds more awake than he looks.

Next to him is Jack Madison: a highly paid and respected attorney. Jack is under my employment and has been for a long time. He had more potential than most lawyers acquire in a decade only two years out of law school. My intent wasn't to align him with my brother's fiancee, but there was an opportunity to protect Conner; I don't miss opportunities.

I press the silver button on the panel. "Send him up, Gabe," I reply monotonously before releasing the button. I greet my guest warmly as he enters, smiling toothily as if greeting an old friend instead of an employee. "Hello, Jack, nice to see you again. I imagine life is treating you well?" I guide him through the hall, past the sleek, modern living space and to the kitchen.

I'd decided to present him with a bottle of vintage red wine. Not something too impressive, but something that would make him a little more... open. "No thank you," he places his hand over the glass that I'm about to pour for him. "It's really early."

I nod understandingly and pour myself a glass as he begins to speak. "You know, I was doing really well. My house is paid off, I love my job -thank you-" he adds and I smile, "and I'm picking up some big ballers as clients. Then this happens. I never thought I could get this far in my career, but I never wanted to get that far."

My face softens as I nod along to his words, though his logic baffles me. "I understand," I say with reassurance. How the hell did you think you would make it in this business without covering up a scandal or defending a murderer or two? "We never expect our clients to be the ones that fly off the handle." I sip, making sure to relax my body more as I do so. "Yet, this is the reality of it. I wouldn't have hired you if I thought you couldn't handle it." I pour him a glass. He isn't as reluctant this time. "Do you think this is defendable?"

"It's defendable," his presents himself with confidence; I smirk, "it just isn't winnable. I spoke to her and the detectives yesterday; there is no denying that she stabbed that girl. Whether or not it was attempted murder is debatable, but there were three witnesses: the fiance saw it all, a housekeeper heard yelling and witnessed the stabbing, and the comatose victim. Even the lesser charges won't be kind to her for that. Influence and power can't get her out of this; her ex-fiance holds all the wealth."

"So, what do you think you should do?" I search for intent in his eye but find exactly what I was looking for instead: uncertainty.

"That's why I called you. Every option ends with a sentence and my reputation being ruined." He takes a shaky breath. "You know what she told me? That she had just found out that her fiance was having an affair with the victim. That's a motive even an insanity plea won't fix. I need advice, Ms. Price. I need you to help me. You got me this client; you're the only one I can trust."

This is the benefit of crafting a competitive work environment. Desperation has given me more information than I care to know. The only problem is the drainage that it causes in some of my employees. Even if it's friendly, this type of competition has proven to be harmful in some individuals. Sometimes it hurts me to use the information that they share in their times of need to my advantage; yet, like the hypocrite I am, I do it anyway.