chapter 21.

Kim sighed at her desk. Kelly's car was in a car accident that killed a little girl. He had a high amount of alcohol in his system that was past criminal. He had a gash on his head and he can't even remember what happened for half of the night.

It just didn't make sense.

She looked over at Kevin who was writing on the board on the space over Kelly's picture.

Vehicular Homicide.

"What are you doing ?" She asked softly as she got up and walked over. Kevin looked at her.

"Oh Voight just wanted me to do a timeline."

"Let me see." She said before he gave her the black expo marker. She reached up and added a question mark beside the title of the supposed crime and everyone watched. She put the cap back on it and gave it back to Kevin. "We just don't know what happened yet."

She turned and Jay looked at her like she was crazy as she folded her arms and looked at him. All the evidence pointed to him , all of it.

"I think we have a pretty good idea based on the facts."

"But if it was you , wouldn't you want the benefit of the doubt ?"

"If I got plastered and killed a little girl , I wouldn't deserve it."

"He might've gotten plastered but he wouldn't kill an innocent child."

Jay sighed and leaned forward on his desk , his arms folded as well , still looking at her.

"I know it's probably the connection you two have between each other that's making you believe he didn't do it at all but outside of that , what makes you think he didn't do it ?"

"You remember Toma ?" She asked him and he nodded. "Remember when all of you looked at me like I was out of my mind but I was right and the only person that believed him ?"

"But this isn't Toma-"

"I didn't say it was." She corrected. "It's just like the same case all over again. It's in the eyes."

She started walking away back to her desk before turning to Jay.

"And why would he kill a child when he still misses ours ?"

That kept him silent. Kim went back to her seat while everyone looked at each other. Erin gave Jay a look , letting him know he messed up on this one. Kim had grown stronger , very strong to the point no one could tell her shit.

And for this to be her first serious case coming back and the suspect was her unborn child's father , it didn't make it better.

Voight walked in and looked at his unit.

"We gotta try to get some witnesses outside the ones near the scene. Ruzek , Atwater, go talk to the mother.  Lindsay , Upton , go to Kelly's place and talk to security to find something. Burgess, Halstead , go to Tap. No arguing."

Voight had already heard the two arguing so putting them together was their punishment. They all walked out and Kim got in the passenger. She thought about making him her house husband to give him another reason to be pissed at her but she didn't want to waste her time arguing when she had to clear Kelly's name.

The drive was silent before they parked outside of the small bar. They got out around the corner and started walking down the street as busy Chicago went past them.

"You got the bartender , I got the valet ?" Jay told her and she nodded. She walked inside before going up to the bartender. The bartender smirked at her.

"What can I do for you pretty lady ?"

Kim held up her badge and his eyes widened as she smirked.

"Yeah , CPD."