chapter five.

Season 4, Episode 12 : Sanctuary

Kim Burgess talked to the ginger haired man as she momentarily fixed her pink beanie on her head. She grabbed her pad and pen from her pocket and looked at him.

"So once again , you saw what ?"

"Two black guys running away and they went into the trees."

"Are you able to describe them to me ?" She asked him softly and he nodded, putting his hands in his dark green jacket. It was cold this morning but they had a crime that needing to be solved.

"Yeah , one had a red sweatshirt with a hoodie and the other had a black baseball hat."

Before she could say anything else , Olinsky had yelled her name , walking over. She turned to look at him.

"Burgess ! Patrol spotted subjects over on Green Street. Let's go."

She turned back to the man who had just given her some information. Although it was something she already knew, she still thanked him for his time before walking off. She jumped into passenger as the other unit vehicles started speeding off, with them right behind them.

The two suspects took them on a goose chase for a couple of blocks before running inside a church. All their cars pulled up and they rushed out before the priest walked out with his hands up.

"Sorry officers , unless you aren't in here to pray , you can't come inside." Father Bill McSorley told them.

Voight walked up and then members of the church started to come out , elderly black women coming out to here the commotion.

"Listen Father. " The Sergeant told him. "I got many witnesses who say they just saw two men run into your church who are the exact match for the suspects for a rape and a murder. We will be very respectful but we need to get him."

"First of all , they aren't men , they are boys. And they now have sanctuary in this church." Father McSorley told them.

"The hell they do." Erin spoke with irritation. She was about to push past the priest but Voight grabbed her arm , stopping his daughter from shooting up a church, that was the last thing they needed.

"Lindsay." He warned. Erin scoffed as Jay pulled her back by her jacket, placing an arm around hr shoulder. Voight turned back to Father McSorley. "There's no need to escalate the situation okay ? A young woman was just murdered in Washington Park , that's not too far from here. The boys inside of your church were at the scene of the crime when it happened."

"But I just talked to them , all they said they did was drink."

"That's great." Voight told him. "If that's the case, send them out , I'll clear them."

"Sorry , can't do that."

"It's your church."

"It's God's church."

Erin whispered to Kim.

"God's not even real so what's the point ?"

Kim tried to not laugh. The two women loved conspiracy theories and loved talking about how crazy ideas like if God wasn't real and religion is only a social construct. The only reason why Kim found it funny. She wiped the smile from her face as she watched Voight argue with the priest.

"These boys have asked for my protection and I've had taken a sacred vow to provide sanctuary when it's requested."

"And I have taken a sacred vow to protect the people in this city. Now just because they're in your church doesn't mean they are above the law."