chapter eight.

Kim wondered around the event Matt had invited her to. She was out of place , obviously out of place. She wasn't used to things like this, the jewelry , the dresses , the champagne. She grew up in a small town called Marshalltown in Iowa , near Cedar Rapids and Des Moines.

Shit , she just got used to Chicago.

Her black heels clacked around , she was invisible , she always.

Then she saw a familiar face, Hank Voight. The two smiled at each other and she quickly walked over , glad to see someone she knew.

"How'd you get dragged into this place ?" His raspy voice asked her.

"My friend- well boyfriend invited me. He used to work with Congressman Graynor in the past."

"Oh boyfriend ?" Hank asked , small smirk playing on his lips. "Well you look great."

"Thanks Serg , you two. Never seen you in a suit."

"So where is this new guy I never heard about ?"

"Oh." She said , looking around before she noticed he was actually really close by , talking to two wives of Congressmen. "Hey , Matt ?"

He turned and smiled at her , wrapping an arm around her waist.

"Matt , this is Sergeant Hank Voight or you know , my boss. Yeah , be nice. " She told him , a smile across her lips. The last thing she needed was her boss to hate her new boyfriend.

"Nice to meet you." Matt Miller told him and the two shook hands. Kim almost audibly sighed as Hank rudely walked off. He didn't like him for some reason and didn't bother speaking. "Did I do something wrong ?"

"No , Serg is just , weird about events like these." She quickly lied and he nodded.

"Sorry about being late, this RICO case has been heating up and the Odessa mob is going crazy too so..."

Kim ignored him as he started ranting about work , again , for the thousandth time. Every time they talked , it was about work, always about work.

"But I didn't cancel this so this shows how important you are to me." He told her , kissing her lips softly. She smiled, he was finally done talking about work, now she was back in his face with a smile.

"Good."

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Kim looked at the dead body of the hooker that was found dead in Congressman Graynor's room. The unit didn't have a lot of time to find out what happened. Graynor's story didn't add up but he was a friend of Voight's so they had no choice to put more pressure than usual on it.

"No surprise , the COD is extinguishable. " The coroner , Ruth Dwyer, told her as she looked down at her. Kim turned to say something but Olinsky wasn't there. "Did you see something ?"

"No." Kim told her. Olinsky was sick so she was now on her own for this case. "Was there any sign of sexual activity ?"

"None , no traces of DNA either but I did find this planted in her upper arm area and you don't see this everyday."

Ruth held up small silver tweezers to show a chip implant. Kim was shocked as she looked down at the woman's arm to see where she took it out of the woman's arm.

"Jesus." She muttered. "Thanks Ruth."

"No problem."

Kim had went back to the precinct and walked in before sitting down on a desk that was facing the board that covered in hand writing and pictures of the crime secen. Adam looked at her.