15

The car ride was painfully silent.

Taehyung sat in the back next to Yeonjun, and he couldn’t help but watch Jeongguk’s hard expression in the rearview mirror. His tongue was poking his inner cheek and his eyebrows were furrowed in annoyance.

And yet he looked so hot.

They were all still in their overnight clothes but nobody seemed to mind.

“Jeonggukie what’s wrong?” Taehyung asked tentatively.

Jeongguk’s eyes looked at Taehyung in the mirror and flickered back to the road.

“Nothing.” He said curtly.

“Are you sure?” He pressed.

“Yes, Taehyung. I'm sure.” Jeongguk replied unenthusiastically.

“Well I think you’re lying.” Taehyung pouted.

“I’m not ly-”

“You are!” Taehyung frowned, “You were fine a minute ago and now you’re being all grumpy. What's the matter Gukkie? Did I do something?”

Jeongguk sighed.

“I’m fine, Taehyung. You didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Mr Gukkie why are you sad?” Yeonjun asked.

“I’m not sad-” Jeongguk said again. “I’m just not in the best of moods right now.”

“We’ll sing you a song!” Yeonjun cheered.

“Happy Birthda-” He began

“It’s okay Junnie. I’m sure Mr Gukkie doesn’t want to hear us sing.” Taehyung whispered to his son. “Sometimes grumpy people don’t want to be cheered up.”

“I’m NOT grumpy!” Jeongguk sighed.

“Well you’re certainly not happy, that’s for sure.” Taehyung mumbled.

“Taehyung just drop it.” Jeongguk groaned. “What time does your husband want you to be back home by?”

“10 o’clock.” Taehyung replied absentmindedly.

“Okay then. We'll probably get-”

“Husband?” Taehyung asked suddenly.

“Yeah. 10 o’clock did you-”

“Jeonggukie I don’t have a husband.” Taehyung said confusedly. “Trust me, I wish I did.”

“Yes you do-”

“I think I'd know if I had a husband or not, Gukkie.” Taehyung snorted.

“Is he your boyfriend then?”

“Is who my boyfriend? Where are you getting this information from Jeon?Sadly, I’m completely single.” Taehyung sighed wistfully.

“B-But the guy on the p-phone. You called him babe.” Jeongguk said exasperatedly.

Taehyung thought for a moment.

“Oh.” He said, a wild grin stretching out across his face. “That was just my friend. Seokjin.”

“Oh.” Jeongguk said dumbly. “Well why’d you call him babe then?”

“Because that’s just our thing! Do you not call your friends silly names?” Taehyung shot back.

“I call my friend Beommie! I'm taller than him!” Yeonjun interjected.

Jeongguk smiled and thought for a moment.