Delphine chapter 12

Chapter 12 :P :D

CHAPTER 12:

CAUGHT AND FREE

Andrews P.O.V.

The streets were a dangerous place. My brother, Tom, and I sought refuge underground now. It was damp and foul, but it was better than nothing.

I strolled along the street with my attempt at looking casual, and when no-one was looking, I went spy mode (creeping around in the dark like an Asian assassin. Ninjas, I think they were called). To the untrained eye, I looked like a bogan who wishes he were on a police show. To me, however, I was having the most fun I'd had in years. Commando style robbery.

We were all getting pretty hungry in the sewers. I drew the shortest piece of weird looking string covered in sewerage (we had to improvise) so thus I had to do the 'shopping', or rather, 'shoplifting'.

Whistle, whistle whistle. I'll just take that loaf of bread here.

YOU didn't see anything...

Totally inconspicuous, that's me. Now to just disappear into a backstreet.. nearly there..

“OI! Were do you think you're going?”

HOLY SMOKED LIVER! I was soo close!!

RUN!

I sprinted around the corner and lost the shop manager in a back road. I knew this island like the back of my.. Oooh, thats new.

Standing before my was a line of gaurds. They looked sinister. Can't be the good guys. Wait? Who am I fooling? Whe ARE the good guys in this situation?

Obviously not these evil looking thugs in blue uniforms before me. One stepped forward. Dam my grandmothers feet to hell!!!!

(I was never taught any swear word or phrases, so I made up my own over the years)

“You're a hard man to find, Andrew Walker.” She said in a seductive yet, somehow, still threatening tone.

“Yeah? Lets keep it that way.” I muttered under my breath, before turning and running.

I didn't get very far. The woman did a run up and jumped from the wall of one of the buildings that lined the back alley and landed in front of me. That was pretty cool. Prool. (pretty + cool!!)

She got out a pair of handcuffs and cuffed me, smiling all the while. Bitch.

Delphines P.O.V.

Did I for one second seriously think I could make it out of the ground to find Andrew on my own?

Fool that I am!

Gabrielle found me as I was climbing up the stairs to the surface. He was out of breath, and explained later that Eagle told him that I was leaving and he ran all the way to me. Now I am stuck with unwanted baggage. He insists he tags along.

I can't get rid of him. I could fight him, but I was a logical and reasonable girl and it was against my nature to enter fights that are pointless.

I flipped my shoulder length hair out of my face (I'd kept it short because it annoyed me too much). Good thing he kept quiet. Gabrielle was a rock. A big, hunky, didn't talk much, hollow headed rock. Fine by me: I made it my business not to probe into others peoples business, if that makes sense.

“You know, Delphine, I always thought your hair was black, because I only ever saw it underground or inside a building. But in direct sunlight, it's actually a dark shade of brown.” He pointed out after a long period of us walking in silence, which I was happy with. Well, thank you, Captain Awkward. Really made my day.

I decided not to voice that thought, and continued walking in devout silence. At the moment I was not walking anywhere in particular, just looking around the city and enjoying the freedom and the breeze. Fighting for freedom isn't half as good as living it.

“Its actually funny how direct sunlight changes your appearance, Delphine. You look beautiful in the sunlight. It makes your eyes go a greener, more turquoise colour than their normal light blue, and your skin-” He continued before I turned around and cut him off by saying

“Dude. Stop. This conversation I not only one sided, but it is extremely odd for me!”

He was freaking me out big time.

“I would prefer it if we proceeded to walk in SILENCE.” I finished, dragging on the 'silence' and closing my palms to signal the end, like a conductor at the end of a piece of music. I'd seen pictures of bands, musical instruments, and orchestras. Making music like that was a rare habit these days. Little people found the time any more.

Though he was much taller than me, and stronger, he still obeyed my request and we went on walking. For a while. I graoned when he started up again.

“So where are we actually going?” Gabrielle asked.

With a smile, I replied, “To the edge of the world! Were else?”

He looked confused, and obviously didn't pick up on the sarcasm in my voice.

“I thought the world was round and there wasn't an edge. Even if there was, how would we get off the island to find it?” He questioned, challanging my 'logic'.

“You stupid idiot, the world is round! Were not going off the island. Were looking for someone.”

“Your comments hurt me, my lady.” he responded in a mock offended voice.

I grumbled at him, “they can hurt a lot more if you don't shut your trap.”

“I will once you tell me who we're looking for!” he retorted.

I smiled at the face this brought into my face.

“An old friend.”