Delphine chapter 13

Thomas -------------------->>

CHAPTER 13

 HOVERING PIECES OF JUNK

The streets got cold at night. I didn't have much fat on my, so I shivered easily. And that was not watery when you were walking with an annoying wood who wouldn't shut up about lending you there coat.

We stopped in a street and asked a survivor living there were the nearest free bed was.

The answer we got from this lady with no home was not very comforting.

“Free bed? Have you been living under a rock these few years? Never mind that, dear. An old survivor like me has seen this island all over: no free beds any more. You want comfort? Pay for it. Nearest free place to sleep, on the other hand.” The old survivor began in an old, tired voice. Running away from people like the Blue will do that to you. The woman chuckled without humour, before continuing.

“Pick a street. Any street. Provided no ones guarding it, and no one else taken it either, it's up for grabs. Best keep away from ones near main roads, my dear. Those wooden Blues'll find you, they will, if you do. Now, off with you. This is my street!”

I nodded in thanks and headed back toward the main road.

Gabrielle followed me, tugging on my arm. His dark skin (darker than any ones else's' I knew, apart from a few odd kids at the W.P.T. Oval from years back) and all black clothes mad him hard to make out in the dark. The shadow of the run down buildings on either side of us blocked out the moonlight.

“So what do we do? You can't seriously sleep in an alleyway! How gross.” Gabrielle whispered, shuddering in horror as he uttered the last part. He stil held on to my arm and was struggling to keep up with my fast pace.

I skidded to a halt and turned to face him.

“Your lack of perspective disheartens me, Gabrielle-” I started before he interrupted me to correct:

“Gabe. Call me Gabe.”

I rolled my eyes in a 'your such a wood' king of way.

Gabe. How can you shudder at a living such as this! These people should be congratulated, not shied away from! They are the ones that have survived, Gabe. We had a little help. They had none. Hundreds of people have died trying to live like they do on the streets. Prejudice consumes you. They live. I applaud them. I actually wouldn't mind a night on the street. Just to see how they live. I think you do to. Might even teach you a little respect. And get off me.” I lectured, spitting out the last phrase.

This seemed to shut him up, and he removed his hand from my arm.

I spun and marched off down the cracking concrete. These roads have been used for nothing but walking since the crash. The crash of nearly all of humankind. Many died. Any have always died. Either bushfire, flood, war, famine.

People have always died.

I heard footsteps behind me and Gabe caught up to me and pulled me into a hug.

“Sorry. What I said back there was kind of wooden, huh?”

I nodded in his arms, standing there limply.

He laughed at me.

“Well, friends?” he asked, breaking the hug and offering a hand for a handshake.

“I accept your apology, Gabe, but when were we ever friends? No. No, I think we can be back to colleagues, but thanks anyway.”

He withdrew his hand and shrugged.