Chapter 26: I'm Not Getting Naked

Start from the beginning

“I tried to be a part of the gang. I was trained by the best in this state on how to steal like a pro. I can take everything you have on you without you ever noticing a thing.” Hunter suddenly sat up and placed a supportive arm behind my back so I was still straddling him.

“I’ve beaten people almost to the brink of death; I’ve stolen people’s last things that they’ve held dearly. All for a person who doesn’t give a shit about me; for someone who only used me to do things that he wasn’t capable of.” The look of utter seriousness in his eyes told me that everything he was saying was true and that he didn’t want to tell me all of this. If anything I felt sympathy more than I felt disgust. And I noticed something about myself. I was changing for the better because of Hunter. I didn’t judge him on this and that was big.

“Why are you smiling? It’s kind of creepy.” Hunter spoke bringing me out of my reverie. He wanted me to hate him, to be angry, disgusted, want to get away. But I didn't feel that way. When I looked at Hunter’s face I could see his beauty, his youth, but in his eyes I could see the turmoil—the loss of innocence.

“Hunter,” I spoke softly lifting my hand to caress his cheek. “Why were you bloody in my front yard?”

“I don’t think right when I’m confused. Call it one of my minimal flaws but I—” I cut him off with my sudden outburst.

“I know Reylor told me.”

“Yeah, I went right into the lion’s den of the gang and took on three different people at once. Didn’t end well.” He shrugged. His chest was healing well but some of the deeper cuts were still a little painful for him.

“Hmm.”

“Are you feeling okay? I just told you I robbed people blind any type, poor people, rich people, old people, and all you have to say is hmm? You don’t want to throw me out? Or tell me how terrible I am or anything?” He held a look of disbelief in his eyes although it was sort of diaphanous.

“One more question. What did you go to jail for?” I asked ignoring all his prodding questions.

“What were you crying about in your sleep that night at my house? There’s a reason why I don’t like you being there anymore.” He questioned and grumbled the last sentence. That was really sweet of him. He thought that I didn’t like his house and that I had nightmares because I was there, when it really was the complete opposite of how I felt about his home.

“Don’t change the subject. The dream was nothing—petty.”

“You tell me later tonight and I’ll tell you why right now.” He tried to reason and I agreed because I really wanted to know. We were still in the position that we started with and to be honest it was more comfortable then I was going to admit. Hunters arm was solid and comforting around my back and he was leaning against the side of the couch, his legs behind me for even more support. It was all to intimate for me to handle if I kept my mind on it, so I didn’t.

“I was stealing from a house in Beverly Hills—Ryan was with me this time because he wanted to see how ‘great of thief he brought up’.” Hunter scoffed shaking his head a little, “I being the little suck up I was, was eager to let him watch me at my best. I was busy sneaking around a grabbing all the things that looked of value. History is my thing; I know what costs a lot and what doesn’t. My brother was just walking through the house touching things as if he could just turn invisible if anyone were alerted.”

“Go on,” I urged the curiosity getting the best of me. I leaned in closer to him as if I would absorb the words more.

“Long story short is that the older woman whose house it was came out of her room and my brother clocked her over the head with a bamboo stick, her husband came in and he did the same. I was well hidden but I jumped down from my hiding place to help my brother. Something seemed sketchy to the neighbors and the police were called—your uncle being one of them. I managed to help my brother get away—him having a worse criminal record than me, plus I’m a minor so I would only go to juvie or so I thought.”