Chapter 42

June 24th, 2013

Port of Long Beach

The student council room of Catiline School of the Arts, usually a bustle of activity, now just hosts two people within. One of whom, had her phone pressed against her ear, listening intently. Madison had been waiting for a particular call, one that she had initially thought would take a few days for it to arrive. She braced for another agonizing wait but that, thankfully, was now to happen. Nearby, Alice watched with anticipation to see the outcome of this call.

"I'd say the sooner the better," Madison said on the phone. "If I recall correctly, your first international match is over a month away, so it'd be wise to get everyone firmly settled in way beforehand." The other speaker on the phone talked for a minute, with her listening carefully. "This Wednesday? No, that's not too soon at all. We'll have everything prepared when you arrive for a smooth move-in. Okay? Great! See you then.

The phone call came to an end. Madison gently placed her phone on the table she was and looked content.

"So?" Alice asked her. "Did they accept your offer?"

Madison looked at her with a grin growing a mile a minute.

"They said...YES!" she exclaimed, jumping out of her seat. "They'll arrive at port Wednesday. Everything will need to be ready for them! Everything!"

"Of course, of course. The main thing will be arranging their living situation. Thankfully, we have more than enough dorms-"

"You know what, scratch the dorms," Madison interrupted. "Give them Oceanview Village."

Alice looked at her befuddled.

"Oceanview Village? The campus apartments that were only JUST constructed?"

"Mmmhmm. The new campus apartments that are not really on campus but close enough to call it campus apartments. I think they'll like 'em."

"That building only got connected to the electric grid yesterday!"

"Aren't they furnished already?"

"Well, yeah."

"And, has administration declared them 'fit for habitation?"

"...They have. It's just that, I'm sure they didn't expect people to live in them so soon."

"Then administration will be beyond grateful for the Mojave Rose tankery team to be the first occupants of Oceanview Village so that they can offer the school their invaluable feedback. If administration doesn't like it, well, they can expect serious dips in their donations."

Alice smirked.

"Alright then. That's for the teenagers of the team. What about the two adults? Per school rules, adults are not allowed to live in student habitations. Meaning dorms and campus apartments. That is a rule that not even you can sway the administration to grant exemptions."

"I know how to pick my battles, Alice," Madison remarked with some seriousness. "These adults, a Mister Redwood and Miss Buchanan, will take up residence in the house my parents use when they visit me on the ship."

"So...your parents house?"

"One of a few houses. Really, they seldomly use it. They won't mind it one bit if other people use it. Mostly because...they don't visit the ship much."

"Are their schedules still so busy?"

"Dad is still on deployment and mom is on location in Nevada working on her film."