Chapter 1 - A painful past

Mia's POV

I opened my eyes and hissed as a sudden harsh light greeted me, squinting against the light I got up slightly, feeling a tug on my left arm I looked around in confusion.

I was lying in a soft and comfy bed. The plain cream-colored walls and the IV that was attached to me along with a heart monitor and other medical equipment made me realize I was in an infirmary.

After figuring that out the memory came in a flash.

"P-ple-please h-h-help me." I cried in the dark alleyway.

"Oh shut up already bitch," The dark male voice filled with malicious intent replied.

My sobs echoed in the empty darkness and I let out a blood-curdling scream as the man grabbed me inappropriately and pushed me against the wall.

"No one is coming to save you." He whispered hungrily and while leaning towards me.

"Wrong," Growled an unknown female voice with rage.

The man, thankfully, paused and seemingly not hearing the tone of her voice continued, "I'm sure we have room for another."

Getting no reply he looked past his shoulder to where the voice had come from and gasped in fear seeing a pair of bright green-glowing eyes glaring at him.

"How about ending it?"

Before he could comprehend what was happening she came at him as fast as lightning and twisted his neck, ending his miserable life.

If I had a different life maybe then I would have stared at her in horror and disgust but all I could do was stare at her with the eyes of someone looking at an angel, their savior.

"Y-you....s-s-saved....me...." I cried as my small scar-littered frame shook. I jumped up to wrap my arms around my savior.

I continued crying hysterically still haunted by the memory.

"Shhh it's okay.....you are safe now.....shhh." My savior whispered in a kind and calming tone.

"My name is Shadow," and after a pause, she asked, "What's yours?"

"M-Mia."

"Well Mia, where are your pack mates?"

"I...I'm a r...runaway, th-they ab-abused me," I whispered with fear, hoping she wouldn't send me back to them.

"Would you like to join The Crescent Moon Pack then?"

I gasped and looked up into the glowing green eyes which stared back at me with no deceit and only kindness.

"Yes."

I was happy knowing someone at least.....cared enough about....me.

I found those words strange because, throughout my miserable life, no one did that.

No one even spared me a glance except when they wanted to have 'fun' torturing me.

Involuntarily I felt a lump forming in my throat, with tears blurring my vision and I started shaking.

"NOOOO!!!" My five-year-old self screamed.

The sound of laughter faded as I sank deeper and deeper in the ice-cold lake that ran through my pack, The Blood Moon Pack.

I struggled for a few seconds but then I thought, what was the point of living anymore? I would finally be at peace, no one to humiliate me, no one to hurt me and I'd be out of this terrible place.