The Last Quidditch Game

I pulled the goggles down over my eyes and turned to look at my team. Their faces were serious and determined; not an ounce of worry showed despite the miserable rain that had already soaked the quidditch field. I took a deep breath.

"Alright everyone, let's go out there and show those filthy Gryffindors how real wizards play quidditch!" I wait for the roar to die down. "Seventh years, this is our last game at Hogwarts. Let's make it count and make some Gryffindors cry!" Another cheer of approval went up and we marched onto the field. Freezing mud came up to our ankles.

We mounted our brooms and rose into position. The Slytherin fans were on their feet screaming for us to win. I raised my fist above my head to acknowledge them. I saw Severus standing in the teacher's box and locked eyes with him for a brief moment before turning back to Madam Hooch for the signal. Severus and I had made a habit of locking eyes right before a Slytherin game this year. It was like him telling me 'good-luck' one last time.

The whistle sounded and Hooch threw the quaffel high. I raced forward and took the ball. I had to swerve to avoid a bludger a Gryffindor beater hit at me. The rain soon became torrential and I couldn't even make out the tip of my broom. I sensed someone fly up beside me but couldn't tell who's team they were on until they screamed over the rain that our team should cast Impervius on our goggles to help with the rain. I mentally kicked myself for not having thought of the idea myself.

We made our way around to the other Slytherins to tell them. It was slow going because even with the clear goggles it was nearly impossible to see. Evan Dougherty, a seventh year Gryffindor chaser, made a blind throw at the Slytherin center goal, but Kelly Charcosky knocked it away. I made a sharp turn and whizzed after the ball, glancing left just in time to see a bludger coming straight for me. Then everything went black.

I could hear people talking in soft worried tones. I couldn't understand what they were saying so I tried to open my eyes. Pain exploded in my head causing me to cry out. I felt my hand being pulled into someone else's and instinctively knew that Lynx was there.

"Are you alright?" she asked sounding on the edge of panic.

"Me head's killing me," I groaned. "What happened?"

"You fell mate," she laughed, "well, you were hit with a bludger actually."

"Right in the head! I had omnioculars on so I could see in the rain. That bludger hit you full force in the side of your head then you fell thirty feet and snapped your arm," Allistor chimed in. He sounded more excited than worried.

I managed to open my eyes ever so slightly and saw that Lynx had pulled up a chair on my left side and Allistor was standing just behind her. They were both smiling softly.

"Where's Madam Pomfrey?" I asked pushing myself into a sitting position and pulling my hand from Lynx's. My skull felt like it was made of thin glass that was trying to shatter, but I did my best to ignore it.

"She's gone to the dungeon. As soon as you came in she got Snape right on brewing a potion to help you. Appearantly the bludger cracked your skull. It's not bad!" Lynx quickly assured me seeing my eyes widen. "She just didn't have the right potion on hand. She splinted your arm already though." I looked down gasping in pain just long enough to see that my right arm was bandaged up. I noticed it was completely numb, and I couldn't feel it at all. It was a bit unnerving.

Just then the doors swung open and in strode Severus and Madam Pomfrey at a brisk pace. They came straight to the bed I was in and Severus withdrew a vial of foul looking thick black liquid. He uncorked it.