Return to Hogwarts...

A week later I lugged my trunk down the short hall at Severus's house into the small family room. He waited for me with no patience at all but made no effort to help me as I struggled. I knew he was amused; the cruel rotter.

I stopped in front of him, panting. I had packed all my school things the night before so I was ready to go. Even still, I wasn't sure why Severus wanted to leave over an hour before time for the train to leave when he can apparate us to the train in an instant.

"Do you have everything?" he asked coolly. I nodded aggravated.

"Of course I do, I got my things together last night," I snapped. I was ill this morning, and his rushing me hadn't helped. He smirked.

"Where's your wand?"

       I glared at him and thrust my hand into my cloak—and felt nothing. I frowned and felt around more. Severus chuckled with evil enjoyment.

"Shut it." I growled and stalked back to my room. My wand was lying on my bed where I had left it. I silently cursed myself for being careless.

Severus was just coming back from the kitchen when I reached my trunk again. He held a brown paper bag in his hand. He wore his standard teaching robes and grim expression. It somehow made things seem as if this past summer had merely been a dream.

"The ride to Hogwarts, as you know, is a long one so I have taken it upon myself to prepare a lunch for you. It is a simple meal consisting of two shredded barbeque chicken sandwiches and a couple of homemade frosted éclairs. I'm certain you've money for the trolley, but I'd hate to think that the packaged sugar the trolley offers is all you'd have the entire trip," he held out the bag which I took with twinkling eyes. I didn't make a big deal of the gesture, but I was deeply touched by his consideration.

I tied the food to the side of Odin's cage. The owl was off delivering a letter to Remus and wouldn't return for a few days. He knew to come to Hogwarts though so I wasn't worried. I just wanted the food where it would be easier to get to when I got hungry.

"Thanks, are we off then?" I asked. Severus nodded and took my arm. With the sickening feeling that comes with apparating we were instantly transported to a place I didn't recognize. I looked at Severus in confusion to find an expression as unexpected as where we were on his face.

"Few people would notice us together at Diagon Alley, but it would be very suspicious if we were seen on the platform. King's Cross is that way a couple of blocks," his voice was soft as he pointed to his right.

We were in the back yard of a house that looked as if it hadn't been lived in in several decades. We were blocked from the sight of anyone traveling on the street. I nodded frowning at the ground.

I felt his hand lift my chin up until my eyes met his. The world around us slowed down and a gentle breeze blew our cloaks about. We were two sides of a mirror; both staring forlornly at the other, both unaware of the rest of the world; star-crossed lovers. The only difference was that I wore muggle clothes beneath my cloak.

Severus's left hand lifted to my hair. I leaned towards it reflexively. His eyes danced from my hair to my face, my lips, and back again. I barely dared to blink for fear the moment would be broken.

"I'm sorry we can't be together now," Severus breathed. My heart ached. "But I will make you this deal—This year I will do everything in my power to make you hate me. If, by some chance, when the year ends you still feel you love me," he hesitated as if rethinking his next statement. "I'll do my best to give you a proper relationship."