i.

Fire and Ice

Fire and Ice. The two most basic polar opposites. You learn that fire can warm you on a cold night and ice can cool down your summer lemonade. But no one ever talks about when the fire burns you, or when the ice nips. The two repel one another, at least they should. But sometimes, only sometimes, they make for one hell of a beautiful storm.

••

"Oh shit!" I whisper under my breath looking at my alarm clock. 7:15am. I woke up super late. On one of the most important days too.

I stumbled around half asleep desperately throwing on whatever outfit I could find lying around. Not really like I care what these people think of me anyway. I sling my backpack over my shoulder and rush down the stairs to see my mother reading her morning paper.

"Morning Gen," She calls out to me. I breathlessly wave to her and run out of the door.

I quickly ran over to my neighbors house. I open the door and let myself in, not bothering to knock. I throw down my things on the living room couch and make my way over to the kitchen.

"You got the stuff?" I ask Charlie frantically, whispering to make sure Bella didn't wake up. "Yeah I did, you're also late," He scoffed and hands me the cupcake with an unlit candle.

I nod my head and light the candle before we both make our way up to her room. I lightly knock on the door and peek in to see her sound asleep in bed.

"Happy birthday," Charlie greets, holding his present close to his chest. We make our way over to the bed as she sits up to greet us.

"Happy birthday Bells, make a wish," I tell her, ushering the cupcake towards her face. She closed her eyes quickly and blew out the flame in front of her.

"I thought we agreed on no presents," Bella said looking up at her father confused. "Well the one from me is not wrapped so it doesn't count," He jokes handing her his gift.

"You're lucky I'm broke, but I brought you a cupcake so I guess A for effort," I chuckled as she took her gift. It was a light pink digital camera with a little bow taped on top.

"Also doesn't the bow classify it as kinda wrapped?" I snarkily asked looking up at Charlie.

"Shut your cakehole," He commands jokingly, making us all laugh. "That's actually great. Thanks dad," Bella thanks holding up her camera.

"Uh this one is from your mom. We coordinated. Well, she coordinated me," Charlie tells her. I giggle and elbow his side.

"You're a mess old man," I chuckle, making him glare at me.

"It's for your pictures from senior year. How'd you get so old so fast?" He asked her chuckling. Bella looked slightly offended which confused me. "I didn't. That's not that old," She defended.

"I don't know Bells, is that a grey hair?" I ask pointing to a random hair to mess with her. "No way," She exclaims worried rushing over to the mirror to inspect her hair.