xiii.

••

••

We laid in the beautiful meadow until dusk began to creep across the sky. I sat up from my spot in the tall grass, staring up at the faint outline of the moon. It glowed lightly in the still slightly lit sky.

The moon was such a mysterious thing in my mind. The only time it was visible is when the sun allowed it to  be. A slave to the day.

I quirked my head to the side in thought, getting lost in the existential questions that filled my mind.

"What's wrong Gen?" I heard Jasper ask as he sat up to look at me. I continued looking up at the moon, admiring the visible craters that I could see. Even the moon had imperfections. I turned to look at the pale boy sitting beside of me. His eyebrows furrowed together in wonder as he watched me.

"Do you ever think the moon is lonely up there?" I asked looking back up into the darkening sky. The words lingered in the air a moment, Jasper collecting his thoughts. "Maybe," He simply answered, not going into any more detail.

"It's mysterious. Like an angel out of reach. It's almost wistful, wanting to be as bright as it's counterpart. But it knows it could never even come close even if it tried. But that's what makes it painfully but uniquely beautiful. It has a certain mystery wrapped around it, that gives off it's own light. Maybe not as bright, but most certainly more powerful." I finished my profound statement with a sigh. Sometimes I felt that way. Stuck in the shadows.

We sat in silence for another moment, only the sounds of our mixed breathing filling the air. "It reminds me of you in a way," Jasper broke the silence while looking at me again. I turned to look at him, my eyes analyzing every single inch of his face.

The small indentations that made their way on the sides of his pale cheeks. His  charming topaz eyes I feel like I could stare at all the time. His mesmerizing light shine that showed when the light hit his face directly. I realized I was slightly swooning and regained my composure.

"Why is that?" I asked slightly confused on why a giant rock floating in space reminded him of me.

"Because it's quiet, but it's presence alone could speak 1,000 words." He finished, shifting his body to turn towards me. I did the same and only continued to look at him in awe. I couldn't find the right words to say, though so many racked my mind, none of them could do how I'm feeling justice. So we sat in another long silence, only focusing on one another.

"You know that's like the cheesiest thing you've ever said to me," I said chuckling, ruining the somber moment. He laughed in response, not expecting it. I watched him lean closer to me, picking himself up off of the ground to close the gap between us.

The feeling of his cold breath fanned my face and we looked at each other, desperately waiting for the other to close that small gap. Suddenly Jasper did so, his cold lips smooth against my warm ones. We moved in sync, so many emotions radiating off of one kiss.