iv.

••

••

Charlie Swan sat on the couch, still in uniform from a day at the station. His brow is furrowed with concern as he reads the Seattle Times. I push the newspaper from his hands, plopping it down on the coffee table before us, not bothering to read the headline.

"Charlie, I came over here for attention," I grumbled at him. He rolled his eyes at my childish behavior but complied, focusing his full attention on me.

"What do you want, ugly?" He asked, his tone filled with humor, much different than the previous worried look he had on his face before.

I sigh for a moment, thinking about it. I couldn't think of anything to say, so I just laid down on the couch, head in his lap. I could see the confused look on his face at this gesture, not really knowing what to do at the moment.

"Just play with my hair. It's what my dad used to do when I was sad," I mumbled, watching his confused face soften.

"Why are you sad? Was it a boy?" I bit my lip at the question, thinking of my response.

"Kind of," I responded softly, feeling his fingers brush through my hair. I had been thinking about what Emmett had told me the previous night.

Of course, I was still angry, furious even. But a more significant part of me just wanted to know why. I wanted closure that never came, and that's what hurt me the most.

"Well, let me tell you something, kiddo, a hard lesson I had to learn with Bella's mom," He began looking away from me. He turned his gaze back towards me, his tone serious but soft.

"Sometimes, letting go of the one who hurt us the most will set us free. You have to remember that their chapter in your book may be over, but it can still always be one of your favorites. It's okay for a happy ending to come to a close sometimes," I kept my gaze focused on his, noting the sadness behind his eyes as he said it. I merely nodded solemnly, not really in the mood to come up with a quip to provide comic relief in the serious conversation.

I felt uncomfortable in serious situations and used humor to make things lighthearted again. But I was too tired. I heard the front door open behind us to see Bella walking in, a grin on her face. She stopped suddenly at the sig ht of the two of us.

"Um, what is happening right now?" She queried. I laughed lightly, lifting my head from his lap to sit upright again. "Oh, nothing, just having a little daughter's best friend and dad bonding time," I snort.

"Wait, so you guys were actually nice to each other, and I missed it?" She laughed, sitting on the couch on the other side of me. We all laughed for a moment before settling into silence again.

"So, 4:00 o'clock on the dot. That kid tryna brown nose me or something?" His face was unamused. "He has a name, and now he's too punctual for you?" She sneered in response. I stood up on the couch between them, feeling awkward being in the middle of the confrontation.