Chapter |20| Nightmares

Start from the beginning

I completely forget that my mum was planning on having them round for dinner tonight.

My mum gestured for us to sit and I took my place next to Ash with Hunter opposite me. Ryder sat down next to me of course, and Colton was opposite him, with my dad sitting diagonal to him and my mum at the other head of the table, chatting away to Aunt Celia.

"So, Ryder we all know what you do for a living but how are you going to juggle your life of crime whilst taking care of our little Gabi?" My Uncle Colton causally says, taking a swing of his cold beer.

My eyes widen and I feel Ryder tense next to me. Uh, I should have know that my dad would plan something like this. He has a sly smirk on face and secretly winks at Colton, thinking no-one knows he's master plan.

"He will do it in the same way you too deal with your jobs and take care of your wives and family." I interject, a smile on my face, as the smirk on Uncle Colton's and my dad's drop.

My mum and Aunt Celia giggle, making their husbands send them a harsh glare, which they happily ignore. Ryder squeezes my hand under the table and lets out a sigh of relief.

I'm not willing to let my dad and Uncle scare my fiancé into either leaving me, or rethinking the marriage that I really want now.

"Fine, but I hope you understand that I don't want my little girl to come to any harm and I want to be able to talk to her. She may be your fiancé and live thousands of miles away, but she's still my little girl and I'll be dammed if I leave her all alone without her family. I want visits, and phone calls, and messages and I want you to make sure it happens." My dad shouts at Ryder in anger, now standing up, with a deadly look in his eyes. Ryder takes a deep breath and I close my eyes, waiting for the fight to ensure but nothing happens.

"Okay. Gabi has a new phone right now but I will speak to my father and make sure that he  allows the phone to make calls to you and her family. I'll also talk to him about scheduled visits. I want Gabi to happy, and seeing how happy she is with her family, tells me that she needs you guys. I won't deny her that." My dad does a double take, and opens his mouth twice before shutting it, at a loss of words I guess.

"Very well put Ryder. I'm glad that my daughter has such a gentleman in her life, unlike some of us." Her snarky comment, aimed at my dad, made him roll his eyes and the rest of us laugh. My mum excused herself and walked into the kitchen, leaving the rest of us to chat amongst ourselves.

"Now we can eat." My mum announced, placing two dishes of steaming hot lasagne on the table.

"Wow, mum this looks amazing." I exclaimed, pouring myself two slices.

"It's really delicious, Mrs Jackson." Ryder said, making my dad glare at him.

"Call me Scarlet. We're gonna be family soon and one day I hope that you call me mum as well." Ryder tensed up at the suggestion and I grabbed his hand, giving him a squeeze to see if he was alright. He looked at me and gave me a small smile and nodded, but I knew he was hurting.

"So, when is the wedding?" Aunt Celia asked me and I froze, not knowing what to say.

"In a couple of months." Ryder swooped in saving me.

"Enough time for the deal to go through then." My dad added, and I sighed remembering how this whole thing started.

I didn't like to think of our marriage and engagement as a deal or arrangement, sure that's what it was in reality but now it means so much more to me.

"So, have you bought anything yet Gabi? A wedding dress or any shoes or jewellery!" Aunt Celia squealed and I noticed my mum had her head down not really saying much. I wanted to ask if she was alright but I knew I shouldn't when everyone was watching.