Chapter 54

JASON POV

There was a deafening shout when the host announced the winner. Greater Height won Bright Future with eleven to seven. Ibrahim scored two free throw, Christain and Joshua, a junior in SS1 a basket each. I scored a three point field goal from a free throw and another without a free throw.

But honestly, Bright future are one hell of a challenge. And it was fun.

"Good job Johnson." Ibrahim commented quietly and I nod.

Even if it was hard, they can't deny the fact that I was good and made the team proud. I also made a history today with them. It actually felt good to be part of something that makes everyone happy.

Team work isn't as bad as I thought. And I am good..... So good.

Call me narcissistic if you want but I don't care, i will compliment myself.

The other juniors on the bench came to hug their favorite senior player and those who were afraid to hug me - well all were afraid to touch me - so they just smile and said their congratulations to me.

After the group thing, I went up the bleacher to where my mom and Nan were sitting.

My nanny pull me into a bear hug.

"I am very proud of you. That was an amazing match. Even if I don't understand half of it, i knew you were great down there." She said.

"Thanks Nan but can you leave me now." I said.

She hesitantly pull away and smile at me. I look beside her and my mom was no where to be found.

"Thanks nan. Where is my mom?" I asked hoping she had excused herself to go to the rest room or gone to speak with one of the parents that were her friends.

"You did see her." She smile but it suddenly turn a little sad when she saw the hope in my eyes. She could tell what I am thinking. "But she had to leave fifteen minutes ago."

"What? Why?"

"She had an emergency at work Jason." She said it like I should have know that.

She came late to the event that she had willingly promised to come and still leaves without even so much as saying an hi before leaving.

So much for hoping. I thought with a scoff.

"Jason you have to understand her. She really had to go. She gave me this." Nan said and she hand me a card.

I reluctantly open it and it read.

"I'm sorry I couldn't wait to congratulate you in person. But congratulations sweetheart. I am so proud of you. Your dad will be the happiest person if he were alive. You make me so proud and I am so happy to watch you down there as you play.

  I had to go which i am very sorry for. But know that I am proud of you and I love you.

Your mom. "

I let out a pained laugh and my eyes swell with tears as I look at Christian mom embracing him. His sister was also smiling saying something funny that they all laugh at. And they are also the other parents with their children even those that the children are just on bench.

I close my eyes and try to hold my tears. It doesn't worth it. I'm used to it. I try telling myself.

"Jason." Nan said. Her voice was filled with concern and sadness. She was looking at me.

I roll the paper in my hands and throw it on the floor.

"Nan call the driver. I'm going home."