Chapter 45

Fair warning, this is the last chapter and the longest. 

Cato walked back into the gym, only to be cornered by Cashmere. "Hi, Cato," she purred, biting her lip. "Where's Glimmer?" Cato sighed before telling her, "We broke up." 

Cashmere plastered a look of concern on her face. "Oh, that's too bad, for her at least," she grinned, and then added a little giggle. "Good for us. She was just standing in the way of us being together." 

Cato put his hands up as if to tell her to stop talking. "Whoa, Cashmere," he breathed. "Look, you're a nice girl and all, pretty and you can be smart. I just don't want to be in a relationship with you. I'm sorry, but I'm in love with someone else." 

Cashmere pouted, folding her arms across her chest. "Forget about Clove! She's a whore and a stupid little whiny bitch!" 

"Don't you dare," Cato spat, narrowing his eyes at the girl as well as clenching up his fists sp hard his knuckles turned white. "Shut the hell up, Cashmere. And I do believe you are mistaken when talking about Clove, when you were really talking about you." On that note, the blonde boy walked away in search for his old best friend. When he couldn't find her, he found Finnick. 

"Finn!" he shouted, earning the surfer's attention. "Cato," Finnick said cautiously. "Hey, it's been awhile." 

"Yeah," Cato agreed. "Too long. Hey man, I want to tell you I'm sorry for being such a douche lately. I was a jerk to everyone of you guys and I regret it." 

"Thanks," Finn told him with a smile, pulling him into a bro hug. "Can I help you with anything? Where's Glimmer?" Cato shook his head. "We broke up, but that isn't the point. I need you to tell me where Clove is." 

***

Clove shivered when a cold breeze nipped at her skin. She dashed across the grass and to the shed as quickly as she could, but it didn't provide her much relief. It was still cold outside, but it felt nice to sit down and relax at least once for the night. 

Clove sat down after she laid down a blanket and sighed. She stretched her arms over her head and stared out into the empty yard. The girl found herself thinking of Cato again, and she rolled her eyes at herself. "Stop it," she said aloud. "Stop it, stop it, stop it. Come on, Clove. Use your brain and admit that he doesn't care about you anymore." 

"But I do," came a voice from around the shed. A figure stepped out of the shadows, and low and behold, there standing before her was Cato Hadley. She glared at him as he sat down next to her. 

"Why are you here?" she asked, not bothering to face him. "Shouldn't you be in the janitor's closet at school screwing your girlfriend?" 

Cato merely shrugged the comment off. "I broke up with Glimmer." Clove glanced down at her lap. "Oh," she said. "Well, I guess I'm sorry. But not really. I hate her and she deserves to suffer." 

Cato couldn't help but let out a laugh. "Yeah, you've made that pretty clear." A wave of silence fell over them for a bit. To be honest, Clove liked it. Not because neither one of them was speaking, but because Cato was there with her. Clove realized that was really all she ever needed. 

"Look, Clove, hear me out for a second," Cato said, turning to her and breaking that silence. Clove just turned and stared at him in reply. "Fist off," he started out with. "I want to say that I'm sorry for being such a douche bag. I hurt you and used you to get what I thought I wanted and I shouldn't have. I treated you and this friendship like it didn't mean anything to me when in reality, it means so much to me and I'm lost without it. I need you, Clove. And I'm finally admitting it. I need you in my life and I don't know what I'd do if I lost you forever."

Clove bit her lip durring the middle of his confession. "And how am I supposed to belive you?" she whispered, but he completely dodged the question. Cato reached into his pocket and pulled something gold out. "I bet you must be missing this," he said with a lop sided grin, gesturing toward the locket. 

Clove nodded and he helped her put it around her neck. "Look inside," he told her. Clove did as he told her and found the two usual photos in there. She gave him a questioning look and raised her eyebrows. 

"Flip the pictures around," he told her. She slipped the photos out of the locket and then placed them back in, this time flipped around. "Cato," she murmured, turning to face him. "I-" He cut her off by placing a finger to her lips. "Just read it," he commanded. 

Clove took a deep breath before reading, "Clove, I love you." 

"And I do," Cato added on, looking her dead in the eye. "I was stupid and didn't want to admit it because I was too stubborn. But that night at The Valentine's Day Dance made me realize something. I am so hopelessly in love with you and I have been going insane these past few weeks because I let you go. And I will do anything in this whole entire world to hear you say those words back." 

Clove looked down at the locket and closed it, and then looked back up at Cato. "I love you too," she whispered. He grinned and before they knew it, Cato had his arms around her waist and hers were around his neck. He leaned down and their lips met, sending jolts of electricity through their bodies. Cato pulled Clove into his lap, and then the two parted. 

"Oh God, you're so beautiful," he whispered against her lips. "I love you so much, Clover." Her heart beat quickened at the mention of her nickname. 

Maybe Cupid wasn't so stupid after all. 

THE END. 

Ending author's note and Christmas gist details coming next!

I got hit in the eye in volleyball today. But we won, so, I guess I'm okay.