Chapter 42

Cato Hadley felt fake. He didn't feel like himself for one of the first times in his entire life. Glimmer had him wearing some stupid pink tie along with his suit to match her dress. Not only that, but she claimed that she was getting bored of his usually hairstyle. Cato liked the fact he really didn't have to do anything with it, but Glimmer wanted him to put gel in it and slick it back. He thought he looked stupid. And apparently, so did his mother. 

"Oh my!" she exclaimed as she walked into his room. She let out a nervous chuckle at his appearance. "i know," he said, smiling slightly as he turned to her. "Loos weird, doesn't it?" Mrs. Hadley nodded in response, eyeing her son up and down. "This," she said, "doesn't look like you at all." 

Cato took the pink tie from his neck and tossed it on his bed. "Help me?" he asked the woman, pointing up to his hair. "Sure," she laughed as they went into the bathroom. Cato stuck his head under the faucet under the sink while his mom washed out the gel from his hair. Next, she fished through cato's closet while he was drying his hair and selected a green tie. 

He came back into the room looking like his normal self, and she helped him tie the tie. "There," she said, stepping away from him. She turned him so he was looking in his mirror. "Now that's my son." 

The boy couldn't help but smile at the color of the tie. "Green," he mumbled to himself as his mother exited the room. "Clove's favorite color." He glanced over to his nightstand and walked over to it, pulling open the drawer. He pulled out the golden heart locket and opened it up. 

Clove's smiling face was there to greet him. They looked so happy in the two photos, Cato cringed at the thought that it was all ruined. They weren't like that anymore; she hated him now. 

Cato slipped the necklace into his pocket before heading down the stairs. 

***

Clove Sevina felt fake. She hated the feeling of the makeup on her skin and how high and unstable her high heals made her look. She hated the stupid emerald necklace around her neck. Because the only necklace Clove ever wanted to wear was her locket. And if she couldn't have that, than nothing was to be around her neck. She supposed that didn't matter much, anyway. Her dress had a high neckline, making the necklace look awkward paired with it. 

She yanked the chain off and placed it on her desk. Sh kept her hair up in the bun it was in becuase she didn't feel comfortable enough to let her hair down in front of all of those people. She only felt comfortable looking like that when she was around Cato. 

Cato. What a bastard. 

She kicked off the heals and slipped on her black boots instead. She went into the bathroom and washed her face clean of the makeup. Clove thought she looked plain, so she did apply some red lipstick to her lips, adding a pop of color. because it was a gift from her mother, Clove slipped on a black jeweled bracelet. 

Clove took a good look at herself in the mirror. Her dress was something her grandmother had given to her mother before she passed away. Mrs. Sevina kept it for Clove to wear when she was older, but forgot about it as it was up in the attic. clove found it and decided it would be a perfect fit for herself. 

It was a green strapless number with black lace over it. The lace come up to her neck and shoulders. She looked more like herself than she had in awhile. But if you looked close enough, you could see the bags starting to from underneath her eyes. You could see how the brown orbs no longer had that spark in them. The look in her eyes was pained. 

Cato didn't love her. 

With one last look at her reflection, Clove bounded down the stairs, trying to erase the memory of him from her mind. 

***

Glimmer Hills was ready for her prom night. 

There was absolutely no doubt in her mind that she would win the prestigious title of prom queen. And to make things even more perfect, Cato would be her king. Checking her reflection in her mirror for the umpteenth time, Glimmer came to the conclusion that she was ready. 

Cato would look great with her. They were going to be the best dressed couple at school, especially since Glimmer hired some of her maids to find the exact same pink her dress was for a custom made tie for Cato. 

"Tonight," she smirked, flipping her hair over her shoulder. "Is going to be perfect." 

Yesterday, the sixteenth of December, was the day Madeline Fuhrman finally noticed me. 

I commented on one of her Instagram posts wishing her, Isabelle, Jennings (because you simply cannot forget the best dog ever), and the rest of her family a merry Christmas. She responded wishing me a Happy Christmas. I then tweeted about how ecstatic I was, and she favorited it! I was freaking out and crying so hard. Something to cross off of my bucket list. 

Jackie also posted a picture the other day. She was hanging out with Isabelle, Jack, and Amandla. THG cast reunion alert! I bit my lip to hold in a scream. 

Thanks to @Bookloverjacy for the amazing message. It means a lot to me.