Chapter 32

Clove ran down the hallway, and forced herself to not look back. She felt like sobbing, and she let the tears fall. She could not believe what had just happened with her best friend. Or, now, ex-best friend. The thought made her heart hurt even more. 

Clove turned the corner and ran into the girl's bathroom, not caring if anyone saw her. She stopped at one of the sinks, placing her hands on the rim of it. She took a deep breath, and it felt like her heart was going to pop out of her chest. That it would split into two pieces, and then crash into the mirror before her, shattering it. 

"Clove?" Came a voice from the floor. The raven haired girl turned, only to find Annie crouched in the corner, tears running down her cheeks. Clove nodded, inching her way closer to the red head. "Annie, what's wrong?" 

Annie bit her lip, using the back of her hand to wipe some of her tears from her eyes. "Um..." she shuttered. "Finnick..." Annie couldn't continue. She found herself crying even more than before, clutching on to her chest. 

"Shh..." Clove soothed, placing a hand on her friend's shoulder. "What happened?" 

"He," the girl responded meekly, playing with her hands in her lap. "He said he was going to go get us some punch. He hadn't come back in a bit, and I started to get worried. I went to go look for him, and I," she took a deep breath. "I found him with Cashmere, and they were kissing. Kissing. I found my boyfriend cheating on me, Clove." 

Clove, completely forgetting about Cato and her problems at that point, felt Annie's pain. "Oh, Annie," she said, bringing the other girl into a hug. "I'm so sorry. He's an ass. He won't be able to find another girl who will ever love him like you do." 

Almost as if on cue, a voice could be heard from outside of the door. "Annie!" 

Annie buried her face in Clove's shoulder as the voice kept repeating itself. "Oh, forget it. I'm coming in!" 

The two girls were now face to face with Finnick Odair himself. He sighed in relief when his eyes landed on Annie. "Oh, Annie," he breathed, bending down to look at her better. "I am so sorry, babe. It's not what it looked like. Cashmere came onto me, not the other way around." 

"And why am I supposed to believe you?" was her response. "Because," the boy began, taking her hand. "I'd be stupid to loose you. I love you so much, Annie." "I love you too," she smirked, and the two shared a tender kiss. 

"Hey, Clove," Finnick said as they pulled away. "You okay?" 

"No," Clove hissed. "I am not okay. You want to know why?" Clove didn't even wait for his reply. "Cato and I just talked. I told him that I loved him, and he rejected me. Yep, he's in love with Glimmer! He hates me now! We're no longer best friends!" 

"Stupid," Finnick rolled his eyes. "Cato's an asshole. I can't believe he didn't tell you." 

"Tell me what?" 

"He loves you." 

"He does not," Clove insisted. "He even said it himself." 

"Did he say, 'I do not love you'?" Clove shook her head. "See?" Finnick pointed out. "He can't bring himself to say it, because it isn't true." 

"And how would you know?" she fired back. "How do you know how he feels?" 

"I can see it," was Finn's reply. "His eyes light up when you're mentioned. When you talk to him, his neck turns a shade of red. When he sees you with another guy, his fists clench up. When you hug him, his eyes light up and he smiles the widest smile he can. He panicks when you don't return his call. He drives to your house all of the time, because he just wants to say hi. He loves you." 

***

Cato walked back into the gym, clutching the golden locket. The first person he saw was Glimmer. She flounced up to him, and gasped. "Cato!" she squealed, and snatched the locket out of his hand. "Awe! You're so sweet! Thanks so much, babe!" 

The blonde girl opened the locket, and frowned. "This isn't for me, is it?" she asked, rasing her eyebrows. "No, it's not," Cato told her, gazing down at the pictures in the necklace. The first one was of the two of them when they were just second graders. They were sitting in Cato's backyard shed, smiling. Cato had his arm wrapped around Clove's shoulder. 

In the next photo, they were in the same pose. They were older, and the picture was taken their first year of high school. 

Cato stuffed the piece of jewelry in his pocket. He couldn't bring himself to look at it anymore. It hurt him to look at it now. It hurt Clove, too. He hated himself. But he didn't show it. Why? Because he had Glimmer now. 

That was what he thought mattered. 

Happy birthday Mickey Mouse! And a little Fannie action in there! My school has a book fair going on, and tomorrow, I'm going to get The Infinite Sea but Rick Yancey. And guess what? It's signed. Yep, they had signed copies. 

Excuse me while I go off and fangirl.