Chapter 10

*Dedicated to Nova because she's my awesome Internet friend.*

"No freaking way! So that's why you passed out? There were so many rumors and theories buzzing around, that it was so hard to figure out what was true and what was too far fetched. But, I never thought that it would stem back to Glimmer. But of course, we should've known. After all, Cato's such a moron, and Glimmer's such a bitch..." 

Madge rambled on and on and on. 

Clove just broke the news to all of her female friends, and they were all stunned. Naturally, Madge was the first to start ranting about the subject. They were at the lake, sitting on the grass. Just like Clove had a special place for herself and Cato, she had one where only she had her girl friends knew about.

"You want me to kill her?" Johanna added, cracking her knuckles. "It wouldn't be too hard, I mean, I could probably snap her in half like the toothpick she is. Or I wonder if her limbs would just snap off as a Barbie doll's would." 

Clove sighed, rolling her eyes. Annie gave her a look of sympathy. After all, the boy who she loved loved her back. Sadly, that was not the way things turned out in Clove's case. 

"I don't want anyone of you doing anything," Clove said. "If Cato asks you to help him, then help him. All I want is for him to be happy. And if Glimmer makes him happy, then Glimmer makes him happy." The words tasted like vinegar on Clove's tongue. Never in her sixteen years of life had she ever intended for those words to come out of her mouth. 

"I say we do something," Jackie insisted. "Show him that she really doesn't care about him. That you, Clove, do. And that you know him better than anybody else in this world. He's blind if he doesn't see how you feel about him." 

"But I don't-" 

"Face it, Clove. You're in love with him." 

Clove shook her head, but said nothing. She'd had this argument with them millions upon millions of times before. It was nothing new, really. She never won the battle, so there was no use in fighting it. 

Katniss gave Clove a small smile. "You may think it's only a crush," she said, "But that's how my feelings started off with Peeta. The crush got bigger and bigger and bigger. And one day, I woke up in love with him. You may not realize it, but you are." 

Clove huffed. "Yeah, so what? It's not like he sees me like that anyway. Even if I was in love with him, which I'm not, he doesn't love me in a romantic way. I'm his best friend. I'm like his little sister." 

"You'd be a cute couple though," Annie pointed out. "And you're always happy when you see him. And I know for a fact that he loves spending time with you." 

"Just because we like each other," Clove replied. "Does not mean that we have to be head over heals for one another." 

Clove looked down at her feet. She liked Cato, she really did. And she would never say it out loud, but she did have a crush on the boy. But, it was just some silly little school girl crush. It probably didn't mean anything. It was just her hormones being hormones. 

"Boys suck," Johanna spat, earning a glare from Madge. "All they want is to sleep with you." 

"And all they want to do is run from you," Madge countered. "Some boys, like our boys, are sweet. They actually love us. Like really love us. In fact, I can see myself marrying Gale in the future." 

The girls each let out a chuckle. "Whatever, screw boys," Clove exclaimed with a smirk. "I have you guys, and that's good enough for me." 

"So, what are we going to do about Glimmer?" Jackie asked, brushing hair from her face. 

Clove thought for a moment before responding, "We do whatever we can to get her to go with Cato to the valentine's Day Dance. That's what he wants, so that's what's going to happen. Everybody's going to have to do their part, no matter how gut wrenching it may be. Whatever we need to do, we do." 

Johanna snarled, gritting her teeth. "You know what I have to say about that?" I say fu-" 

Madge smacked her friend's arm before she could finish. "Johanna Mason. If you were about to drop an F Bomb-" Johanna snickered in reply. 

"So I can't drop and F Bomb but yet you can get down and dirty with Gale in bathroom stalls?" The blonde's cheeks flushed pink. "That was one time..." she murmured. Johanna folded her arms over her chest. "Yeah, one time too many." 

Clove ignored the conversation after that. She was too invested in her own thoughts. How to make Glimmer fall for Cato? Well, that part would be easy. Pushing her personal feelings to the side? Now that would be the challenge.