Chapter 22

Clove pulled her jacket's collar higher up to her neck, her fingers numb as she made her way up to Cato's front door. A light snow had started to fall from the sky, the street lamp illuminating the pitch black. In her hands she carried a large box, and had two bottles resting on the top of it. She used her elbow to ring the door bell, hopping up and down to try and get some more warmth in her body. Including Valentine's Day, Clove also hated the winter. Sure, she loves Christmas, but she hated the feeling of the sharp air on her skin. 

A few seconds later, the door was swung open. Cato stood there in a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt, hands in his pockets. 

"Hey!" Clove said with a smile on her face. She lifted up her belongings as she said, "The hockey game is about to start, and we promised each other that we'd watch it together. I brought your favorite: One large meat lover's pizza and two liters of Pepsi. And I bet if I talk to your mom she's make us those meatballs. And maybe we can run over to my house really quick to grab the cheese dip for the chips. You know, like we usually do." 

Cato chuckled in response. "God, Clove," he said. "We really need to get you a car." The small girl laughed, rolling her eyes. "Try telling my mother that." 

A loud burst of laughter erupted from inside the house, causing cato's head to whip around. "Oh," Clove said, clearly disappointed. "I didn't know you had people over." Cato turned back to Clove, shrugging his shoulders. "I'm so sorry, Cloverfield," he told her, using his nickname for her. 

Clove shook her head. "No," she insisted. "It's my fault, really. I should've called you or texted you or something." 

Clove knew that this wasn't her fault though, even if she was saying it was. It was all Cato's fault. They both had the hockey schedule printed out. Cato loved the sport, so he was always reminding his best friend when their favorite team was playing. They took turns going to each other's houses, laying on the couch and stuffing their faces with food. Clove never forgot, Cato never forgot, until now.

"I guess I'll go," Clove said awkwardly. "I'll text Johanna. I bet she'll come over and watch the game with me." Clove turned and was about to walk away when Cato placed a hand on her shoulder. "Clove," he said, spinning her around. The girl raised her eyebrows. 

"Look, I feel terrible," Cato started out with, blue eyes staring into hers. "I promised we'd watch the game together. And I don't want to break that. But Gloss and some of the other guys are here right now to watch it too and I can't exactly kick them out."

At the mention of his name, Gloss shouted, "Hey Cato? What's taking you so long?" "I'll be there in a minute!" Cato called back, and then turned his attention back to Clove. "How about this: You come inside out of the freezing cold. I'll call your mom and you can stay the night. You can watch the game with us. We have plenty of food along with the stuff you brought. And I'll drive you back home tomorrow morning." 

"Okay," Clove said with a smirk as they made their way into the house. Cato took the food and drinks from Clove as she shrugged off her jacket and slipped off her boots. The two made their was into the living room where a group of people sat, eyes glued to the TV screen. 

At first, no one noticed Cato and Clove enter the room. Until Glimmer turned to say something to Cashmere, and instead was looking at Clove. 

Shit, Clove thought, her hands balling up into fists. I didn't know Barbie Doll was gonna be over too. 

Glimmer plastered a fake grin across her face, and gave a small wave. "Hi Clove!" That caused everyone's heads to turn towards the raven haired girl. 

This is going to be a long night. 

***

The only people left still at Cato's house were himself and Clove. It was a little past midnight, and Clove could barely keep her eyes open. Usually, when Clove slept over, Cato would give up his bed for her and he'd sleep on the floor. But it looked like that wasn't going to be the case. 

Cato picked Clove up and carried her piggy back style up the stairs. Clove smiled as Cato turned and started down the hall. 

"Cato..." she murmured as they entered his bedroom. "What is it, Clover?" he responded, setting her down. "If I have a nightmare," she said meekly, looking down at her feet. "Just, please don't get freaked out. Some nights they're really bad, and other nights I don't get any at all." 

"Well," Cato said, setting up a blanket on the carpet. "If that happens, I'll climb up there with you. And I'll stay up with you for as long as you want me to. I promise." 

And at two o'clock in the morning, when Clove woke up screaming, Cato was there in an instant, keeping his promise. 

Hey guys! Sorry it took so long for me to update! I was just really busy! And guess what? Promise Ring was in the top ten! So it's being judged, and the winner will be announced on Wednesday. So wish me luck! And thanks to everyone who voted. 

I'm so happy right now. I'm off of school tomorrow! Woo! And it's Josh Hutcherson's birthday today. I still refuse to believe that he's 22 years old. 

I don't know about you, but it doesn't feel like he's 22!

I hope to update at least once, maybe twice this week! So keep a look out! Also, if you have any cool names that could be used as characters, comment them down below. I'm not going to give anything away, but I have a new story idea, and I suck when it comes to naming characters.