46

Alice

"I'll go start the car, have it warm up," Tracy says digging through her purse and leaving a five-dollar bill on the table.

I just stood awkwardly as I waited for Gen to put her coat on while Nick and Nelson talked.

"Hey." I hear a manly voice behind me and I jump around quickly to see the waiter from earlier.

"Hi," I reply timidly and he shows me his hand to shake so I politely shake his back. I don't feel the same sparks and tingles I would whenever I touched Nick. I need to stop comparing.

"I was just wondering if you wanted to go out sometime?" The guy Josh asks and my lips part from surprise. He tucks his hands in his uniform pockets and rocks back and forth on his feet.

"Oh- I- I'm not from around here sorry," I say shifting on my feet.

"Oh... uh well here's my number if you want it?" He says handing me a card with numbers scribbled on the back.

"Call me sometime." He says with a wink before walking away. Holding the card in a tight grip I tuck it in my pocket.

"Ready?" Tracy says walking back into the diner.

I spin around and see Nelson and Gen staring at me with wide eyes. Nick was glaring at Josh from across the room.

"What did I miss?" Tracy says crossing her arms over her chest.

"Alice just got some d-" Gen starts but Nelson gives her a look that makes her shut up.

"Nothing!" I all but yell. I stare at Nick who steps closer to me.

I take a step back and watch his hands twitch at his sides seemingly eager to touch me. Probably just as eager as I was to touch him.

Tracy frowns and starts to walk out with everyone behind her. "Why do I miss all the good stuff." She mumbles her expensive shoes clicking against the tiled floor.

I glance over my shoulder to see Josh busy scrubbing some dishes. I pull the card out of my pocket and throw it in the trash. Nick has me still he just doesn't know it. I forgive him.

But finding a way to talk to him will be hard. I'm just too scared and don't know what to say.

I sigh and step out into the cold air following behind everyone. I buckle my self in my seat and wait quietly to make it to the motel.

The car screeches up to the motel and my drowsy eyes open from the bright light of the road.

I watch Tracy turn around and she stares at Nick and I seriously.

"Nick please take Alice to her room she is very tired," Tracy demands monotone and even though I'm tired I still catch what this sneaky woman just said.

"No Tracy I'm fine," I say annoyed and Gen scoffs.

"Come on sleepy head he's going to take you," Gen adds on giving a confused Nick a preordered room card.

Nelson unbuckles my seat and pushes me up and I can't help but think they're conspiring something against us here.

Nick gets out of the car and grabs my stuff putting my bag over his shoulder and his as well.