20

Nicholas

Nelson dropped Alice home after that little reunion they had and then offered to drive me home. I just told him I'd walk from his house so he wouldn't have to drive more. Mainly because I didn't want him to see my dad.

As I approached my house I felt more nervous than usual.

I've never been scared of them once I got older so I don't know why I'm being a wuss now. I think I'm just afraid of Alice seeing my bruises again.

"Nicholas!" I jump when I hear a shrill voice call my name out.

I look over my shoulder and see Logan's mom at her mailbox.

I walk up to her forcing a smile. "Good afternoon Kathy." I greet.

"Look I need your help with something this weekend." She says. I raise an eyebrow for her to continue.

"I have an serious doctor's appointment down in Worsfordshire. I need you to watch Logan for me. I'll pay you. And it's only one night." She begs and I can see a worry line between her eyebrows.

"Wow, Worsfordshire? That's quite the drive. You doing okay?" I say raising an eyebrow and just get an eye roll from her in return.

Kathy was loaded. She was a lawyer and only had to ever spend money on Logan considering he was her only son. And not only that, they live in such a small house next to ours, their bills must be minuscule. Based on quota that's for sure. Most of these house were passed down by dead relatives.

"Sure thing. But whatever happened to not trusting me hmm?" I question faking hurt.

"Look no one else is available and Logan's picky on who he has around. You're lucky you're one of them. I'm desperate here Nicholas. I'm sure you're mother would be okay with it." She says glaring at my home.

"Alright. Thanks for counting on me." I tell her and I wave goodbye and leave.

Watch Logan? Won't be too hard right? Besides, I'll get paid to hang with that little monster. And I want to get Kathy to like me anyway. To see that I'm not like my parents.

I smile and open my front door. Not even a second passes before I slammed against the door.

Groaning I clutch my head that's now radiating pain.

My father grabs me by the collar and I prepare myself for the next few hours of being his punching bag.

I feel a sharp blow to my stomach and the wind is knocked out of me.

I slide down the closed door and sit on the ground. The man in front of me kicks my ribs multiple times before crouching down and getting up into my face.

"Why were you not home right away?! School called in and said you got detention again!" He screams grabbing my collar.

He drags me to the kitchen and I know what this means.

He pulls out his pocket knife.

~~

When he was finished I limp up to my room. It was now dark outside.

I lock my door and pull my shirt off and toss the bloody rag onto the floor.

When my father gets really mad he will take his anger out by slicing my back open however he pleases. I never understood why but he wouldn't let me get away from it. I've had scars for many years.

I open my desk drawer and shove things aside to find my cloth.

I wince as my back continues to burn. He has said before that he chooses that spot because it's hard for me to clean myself where I can't reach. But I don't want to get an infection.