[31] A Bump in the Night

Start from the beginning

        The blonde looked down in time to see a single crystal drop fall from her face and dampen the fur on her skirt. She quickly wiped her face with the back of her bracers wrapped around her forearms. Even when she's alone she refuses to cry.

        Her sadden blue eyes look up from her lap and out across the village. Her eyes subconsciously looking at the biggest house in the distance, Hiccup's house. She didn't expect to see the wooden front door slowly swing open. The blonde narrowed her gaze at the now open door, seeing two violet eyes glowing in the darkness of the doorway. Soon a tan furred head pokes out and walks fully out into the moonlight. Followed soon after by the figure of the one and only (Y/N), who closes the door softly behind her. The young woman on the roof glares in suspicion of (Y/N)'s actions. Watching as her dragon motions for her rider to get on her bare furry back. She obliges and mounts the Woolly Howl. The furry dragon unfurls her wings, allowing the (F/C) tint and flecks to show. She takes to the air with only a few powerful wing beats, now heading off in the direction of the wilderness.

        Without hesitation the braided blonde slides down her roof and climbs down her home using the window ledges to her advantage. She runs into her stable, effectively waking up her teal Deadly Nadder.

        "Sorry for waking you up girl, but we have someone we need to follow." She tells her dragon. The dragon senses her urgency and gets up, shaking herself awake. The young woman hops onto her dragon and immediately takes off after the other dragon rider.

*Second Person's POV*

        You let out a loud yawn, covering your mouth with your hand. You felt so tired, not even the cold night air whipping by your face woke you up. If anything, it made you want to go back to your warm cozy bed. Alas, you couldn't because Skyler wanted you to check out something. You have no idea what, and at this time of night could really care less. Though...

        You look down at your dragon, seeing how her eyes are narrowed to slits as she searches the surrounding land flying below you. Her head tilting now and then as she listens to something out of your hearing range. It made a knot of unease build in the pit of your stomach. What was out here that warranted Skyler to immediately check it out? Thinking more on it, could be a threat to Berk? It could be a wild dragon, or a Viking like those Agirifa riders that want to kidnap you. You felt your heart freeze in fear. You suddenly felt very awake. Maybe you should have woken Varor and Remus. You leaned closer to the comforting warmth of Skyler, rubbing a thumb over the fur clenched firmly in your fists.

        Then you felt a rumbling vibration come from Skyler, followed with a deep almost purr-like sound. You looked to your dragon's face to see Skyler smiling back at you with gentle dilated eyes. She must have sensed your distress, because now her face seems to tell you 'I'm here, it's okay'. Ready to comfort and protect you whenever it's needed. You felt your heart warm up, feeling touched by how much she cares for you. You smile gratefully back at her, feeling much more secure then moments before.

~~~~~~~~()~~~~~~~~

        You have no idea how much time has passed. You only know that your face feels numb from the wind hitting it for too long. Your alertness from earlier is fading, and you find yourself just wanting to lay in Skyler's soft fur and possibly take a short nap. Just thinking about it is tempting.

        That's when you finally heard it. The rumbling sound from within the woods ahead. Like a large creature is growling in the shadows the trees cast. It was enough to scare a few birds away from their perches in the tall pine trees. You felt your heart begin to race in anticipation, acutely aware of the weight of your dagger by your side. Skyler let out a low growl beneath you.