Alive

(HIS AND HERS)

"Here,put this on", the doctor hands me a plastic body suit,gloves, hair net and face mask.

I shrug the  blanket Liz brought for me off my shoulders.I quickly slip into the gear and follow the doctor into the next room.

There's a full team surrounding B's unresponsive body.I gulp at the sight of him.I'm sure tears are about to stream down my face but that's unprofessional, I need to be strong for him.

" and you are doctor..?"one of the nurses ask me.

The man beside me raises his hands in protest,"no no ,she's —"

"Doctor White", I complete for him and  walk to B's side and reach for his hand .

My actions cause a few heads to turn and I'm sure they're wondering what doctor does that,but they don't and just get back to what they were doing.

Come on B ,you can do this .
I gently squeeze his hand from time to time .

I completely tune out the voices of the doctors and nurses as I just focus on B.his eyes are shut but I can already imagine what he looks like below those eyelids ;twinkling blue orbs filled with lo e and passion.

I imagine his emotionless face smiling ;his unmoving hand where mine tugs squeezing it back.he has to come back.

After an hour or two the nurses clean up after the surgery and the doctor from earlier taps me out of my thoughts.

" wait ,why are you packing up?what's going to happen to him?please tell me",I panick.

The man rubs my back reassuringly, "he'll be fine.the surgery was a success."

I let out a breath of relief ,"thank you so much"

He shakes his head slowly,"ma'am, I want to take the credit but I think your being here was the reason the surgery was a success. Im not an auspicious man.but Something about your presence made our patient fight.he'll be taken to a room where hopefully, he will recover."

I nodded.

"He's not completely out of the woods yet,there's still the possibility of a relapse.we'll get him to a room and monitor him.you will be able to see him only after we're done running tests and once he's out of danger", he said and then left .

When I got back to the waiting area I found Mace and Larno .Mace was on his phone whilst Larno was sprawled all over him ,asleep.

I didn't want to disturb ,they'd done so Much already.

" And?"

I sat beside the boys before I could respond, "the surgery was a success.the doctor said that he's not totally safe yet."

"Don't worry,he'll be fine", breathed Mace before yawning.

Mel came in shortly with cups of what I think are coffee.

"You're back? Here,extra strong for you", she handed me the cup and then handed  Mace his before taking a seat beside me.

" before you ask ,the surgery went well but he's still under monitoring. "

Mel smiled and tool a sip of her coffee.
As much as I want to drink mine I know I can't. Quilt washes over me when I realise the amount of strain that's been put on my body thus far;I hadn't eaten much .Am I going to be a bad mom?
No,I have to be strong. I'll grab something a little later.